Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does Squire basses has "Squire" writen on it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by arvidgunardi, May 14, 2002.

1. I was wondering if Squire basses has the word "Squire" writen on the headstock. Reason I ask is because, I bought a used one few months ago, and i did not see any "Squire" writen on it, instead it was writen as Fender, made in Mexico. The hard case that came with it is a squire hardcase. I sold it off for a price of a MIM...I hope I didn't rip anybody off.:(

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's Squier, not Squire.

Yes, al Squiers say Squier on the headstock.

Mexican Fenders are not sold with a case included, the previous owner must have bought the (cheaper) Squier case for it.

4. Yes all Squires say Squire on thm but some say it realy small and say fender made in mexico on them as you said yours did. The ones with the small Squire on the headstock can easily be transformed into (MIM) by sanding off the Squire... a friend has done this.. not to rip anyone off but so people dont think he is using a squire bass.. Hey what can I say he is a guitarist lol

5. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    Squier! Ends in ER, like Fender! Why is this constantly misspelled?:confused:

6. my guitar freind has a red start it say in big letters fender then little squire made in mexcio

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    "Mexcio?"

Is that like "Texaco"?:D

Early Squiers would have a large"Fender logo and a small "Squier series" written; or a large "Squier" logo and a smaller " by Fender" logo. Later on they just kept the big Squier logo.

8. 1964

Mar 26, 2002
    Too Close To Hell
    The Fender "Squier Series" decal (a big Fender decal with stylised black type saying "Squier Series" on the ball of the headstock) was first introduced with the launch of the Squier brand in Oct 1982. It was superseded by the big Squier decal before the end of 1982. However, variations of the Fender “Squier Series” decal were used in the 1990s on various MIJ/MIK/MIM models. Btw, it has never signified better quality; in fact many of the 90’s axes bearing this decal were plywood.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  10. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Here's a Squire for ya:

[​IMG]

11. Here's a Skewer P-Bass HS for you -