Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does static mean i blew out the speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassturd, May 15, 2001.

1. hey fellow bass players!

I'm getting this static sound coming from these two small 6's from my cab. I have an ampeg 1832HE which has 2x6,2x10, 1x18 and a tweeder. Yes i know its a weird setup. I'm running it with a 1976 ampeg svt.

i think i might have blown them out. i checked out the speakers and didnt see any tears. the speaker cords are all new and its not the amp because i just had it retubed and i tried it out on another cab and it worked fine.

please give me any ideas.

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    i kinda get that too
    i got a little 20 watt practise amp
    can u help me and bassturd at the same time?
    thanks

3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    maybe it's just your instrument cable? That's what happens when they get cracked/damaged.
    Speakers wouldn't make a static noise from being cracked, they'd most likely just cut in and out. (as far as I know)

Although, I could be wrong. But I'd be sure to check it. If it is your cable and you go out and replace or recone your speakers, it will have been a waste of money.

4. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    If the static is only coming from the 6'ers, then it's likely that they're at fault. Personally, I've never heard of 6 inch speakers in a bass rig - I wouldn't have though they'd be able to handle it. I don't think you've blown them, but they're probably on the way to getting blown.

5. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    Yawnsie,
    I think the 2x6 are installed in the same cabinet as the tweeter, the 2x10s and the 18 sub.
    they r supposed to reproduce high mid and high freq for articulation reasons.
    I think this full range cab was designed for Vic Wooten and is what he uses live.

bassturd? am I right?

6. thats correct air_leech

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    could just be normal amp hiss that your hearing. thatd be my guess.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

All the Euphonic Audio cabs have smaller speakers like the 5¼" ones in the VL-208 - and this is one of the reasons why they sound so good. EA cabs can handle large amounts of bass and the low B very easily. The cabs I have used with these small speakers are completely silent in operation - no noise is introduced.

BUT - I think that smaller "hi-fi" speakers will tend to be the ones that pick up any "hiss" or noise from the high end of the frequency spectrum. So if you are using noisy effects pedals or if your bass has a noisy active tone circuit built in, then the 6" speakers will probably emphasise this and it will sound like they are causing the problem - whereas, what they are actually doing is faithfully reproducing what has been fed into them.

9. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Oops! Let this be a lesson, kids - never listen to a thing I say.

10. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Pardon me? Sorry I must have not been listening. :D

If the speakers used to be fine, and now they are not, and nothing has changed in the setup, then the speakers probably have the problem. So, assuming the speakers are at fault, static speakers would be more caused my wiring/electronics than cone damage I would guess... when I had a tear in one of my speakers it did not sound staticy, it sounded distorted.

11. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    That's it! Watch and learn, children...

12. i dont have any effects hooked up to the amp. i think though it might be what Bruce said about an "active bass." my bass is active and im gonna remove the battery and try to play through it.

another symptom added to what i said is that it gets more static when i put up the volume. if the volume is low then u cant hear it. the static noise comes louder when i play harder too.

Im getting tired of this cab. i think im gonna sell it or something.

13. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    If you remove the battery from an active bass you won't hear anything, replace the battery, I'm sure that's what Bruce was trying to tell you.

And yes, it would create static and such... Check your battery, and your cables. Then if that doesn't solve anything, goto a tech.

14. If the 6ers sound good otherwise, it's not the speakers. Speakers are passive components, they can't produce noise by themselves. If something's wrong with them, they can cause the amp to start hissing, but only in rare situations, which I doubt is the case with your cab.

If you turn up the volume and the hiss goes up, it's the thing that's near the volume knob. So take a serious look at your bass, cables and maybe even the amp.

15. gowerski

gowerski

Nov 27, 2000
    My active bass sometimes buzzes a little when im not touching the strings, tuning knobs or bridge etc. it has a little grounding problem but thats all i think.

i know this isnt very informative but who cares.

(edited becos of typo)