Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does Steve Winwood play Keyboard bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IAMERICCOCHRANE, Jan 8, 2004.

1. I got his latest album "about time" and in the credits there was no mention of a bassist. Did they brain fart or does Steve play keyboard bass?

2. from what i know, he plays the keyboard bass. i saw a special on him on pbs, and there was no bass player, just a guitar player with a really wierd guitar, but he was good! so to the best of my knowledge, no bass player.
    Charlie

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Winwood has played both organ pedals and keyboard/synth bass in the past but he does play bass guitar (as well as guitar and mandolin) himself and can be heard doing so on various Traffic albums (he also played bass guitar on a few tracks of the Blind Faith LP).

I haven't heard his latest album but if no bassist is listed, it's probably organ pedals or synth.

He was one of my earliest bass influences and after Jimmy Smith is my favorite "keyboard bassist".

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Most recently, Winwood used Michael Rhoades on bass, exclusively. They were pretty close friends as well from what I understand. I can't see Rhoades playing on an album without being credited, so (without hearing it) I'd suspect it was keyboard bass or Winwood himself.

5. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    that latest album is very b-3 oriented and I believe the bass parts are done w/ left hand and/or foot pedals. great record!

6. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I saw him live on the Today show a few months ago. No bass player. He played Gimme Some Lovin.. With NO bass player. The song just ain't happening without that bass line.

7. That would be a swedish made Paradise guitar. One of the nicest made guitars on earth IMO. Bela Fleck plays one too.