Does STING use a pick?????

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bassline1414, Aug 6, 2000.

1. Ya, I saw him on SNL, and he's cool, writes some good basslines, but I couldn't tell if he was plucking with his thumb or if he using a pick. I myself do not use a pick cuz I don't think a bass is meant to be played that way, but if your good at it, by all means use a pick.
  2. Tony746

Jul 8, 2000
    Sting's been using a modified classical guitar right hand technique for a while. It was mentioned in Bass Player magazine when he had the cover story. It seems to be a right-hand plucking tecnique without the right palm muting.
    I saw Sting use a pick live in the 80's during his Police days.
  3. Tony746

Jul 8, 2000
    oops! I meant"right thumb plucking technique w/o the palm mute"!
  4. Sting used a pick in the Police days. There's no way he could have produced lines like the one on "Shadows in the Rain" or "Driven to Tears" with his fingers--the attack is all wrong.
  5. Dox

Aug 17, 2000
    Millville, New Jersey
    Yeah. In his Police days he did use a pick a lot. But now he mostly uses his thumb like Tony said. Very smart bassist I must add.
  6. ToNe45

Apr 23, 2000
    sting's major bass is his vintage telecaster style bass. Tony476 is right, ESPECIALLY WITH HIS BABY, his uses the classical right thump style. in his recent year i have seen him occasionaly pull a pick out but that was always on a different bass.
  7. I like Sting a lot, unfortunately I haven't had to time to buy one of his albums, but I will. I am getting a bit tired of the Desert Rose song though, it's on like VH1 and the radio ALL the time.......
  8. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hmmmm...I wonder how Sting held up in that chess game against Garry Kasparov??? but, yeah...he's come around....he no longer uses a plectrum....a strange right hand technique he's adopted, I must say though...
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I just found the 4 disc Police collection cd set at a pawnshop last week for $20. Sweet.
    Kitsapbass likes this.
  10. in_exile

Feb 14, 2000
    I saw that SNL performance. He used nothing BUT his thumb. He was using all four strings, walking with his thumb.

11. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If you listen to the "Message in a Box" Police compilation, you'll hear him play with a pick a lot on the earlier material. "Dead End Job" and "Masoko Tanga" have some nifty plectrum work by Sting.
  12. McCartney uses a pick don't he?
    StereoPlayer and Big John66 like this.
  13. That is the way that Monk Montgomery used to play.If you don't know who he is,He was one of the very first guys who actually performed with a fender bass in 1951. he is also Wes Montgomery's brother, a guitar player who also played with his thumb.
  14. Wasn't the electric bass intended to be played with your thumb? Isn't that why Fender put those worthless finger rests underneath the g string on old p and j basses?
  15. It was called a tug bar
  16. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    The "proper" technique that was taught back in the 60s was thumb plucking. But then players started using picks, 2 and 3 finger plucking, slapping, and any other method they could come up with.
  17. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    When I started on bass, I used a pick. Then, after about 4 years, I converted to fingers.
    I never thought I'd use a pick again... but I did about 10 years later, after hearing Sting's use of one on "Spirits in the Material World." His pick playing on that tune absolutely blew me away.

(Nowadays, I use a pick about 1% of the time, for the sound.)
  18. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2013
    south Louisiana
    You know I think he MustHave used a pick with a lot of hair gell to get his look for Dune. Wouldn't want to meet that gangster in a dark alley at night.:cool:

time binding is fun! watching sting act… not so much
    bad ass musician, though:whistle:
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  19. G-MonRV5

Apr 29, 2008
    13 Year's between posts! Wow! This HAS to be a TB record.
  20. SteveV74

SteveV74 Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Add another 2 years to that.......its funny, one of the members mentioned desert rose being on all over the place,lol.
    EagleMoon likes this.