Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does string action affect sound?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by funkedupbass, Jul 19, 2005.

1. I'm just looking to find out for certain if string action/height affects the sound. I'm 85% sure it does, just looking for some conformation. If so then how does affect the sound.
    thanks,
    -eric

2. dave120

dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    I imagine more than the action itself changing the sound, it's how far the strings are from the pickups that makes the difference. When you lower the action, it moves the strings closer to the pickups which most definately will affect the sound. You can find many threads around here that talk about pickup height and raising/lowering them.

3. +1

and what Dave is alluding to here is that there are many ways of looking at the relationships between the parts of the instrument.

4. Action will also affect how you attack your strings. This brings the human aspect, technique, into play...which also affects your sound tremendously.

In fact, I find that the single most overlooked factor in the sound of an instrument (ANY instrument, mind you, with the possible exception of a Synthesizer) is the way you PLAY it!

So, yes, you are 85% correct. ;)