does string gauge affect click sounds?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by electricdemon3, May 22, 2002.

1. electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    My Ibanez has 95-40 sized strings on it and when I primarily played with a pick, I set it up with extremely low action, 6 64ths of an inch in the E string to 5 64ths of an inch on the G string. However, now I play mostly finger style and had to raise my action to about 9 64ths of an inch on the E side to eliminate the occasional clicking sounds I get. I was wondering if I get larger gauge strings and adjusted the truss rod for them if I could get away with lower action and still have less clicking sounds since the strings will have more tension?
  2. Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    ive found that most " clicking " sounds come from bad technique [ no offence , i get it too when the band is smoking ] , raising your strings may reduce it a bit , what about lowering the pickups ?
  3. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Heavier gauge strings shold help somewhat because they will have more tension when tuned to pitch. You must have been playing very softly with the pick for it not to click. Usually when someone switches from pick to fingers you lower the action not raise it.
  4. electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    I wasn't playing too softly, but I also wasn't playing extremely hard all down stroke punk style. I got a little fret buzz with my action that low but I never got clicks. The buzz never bothered me though because the ease of hammer on/pull off legato playing more than made up for it. I was going for a setup that would allow me to play my bass similar to the way I play guitar.
  5. electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    I agree that improvement in technique would help.

I don't think lowering the pickups would help because I am not getting clicking sounds by the string hitting the pickups, I am getting clicking sounds by the strings hitting the frets.

I only get them on the E string when I play fast. I think the reason why is because when I play the E string, my fingers pass through the string and hit the body of my bass, which causes the string to move downward towards the fret board, as opposed to when I play my other strings and my finger just passes through to the next string, which creates a string motion parallel to the fret board.

Any suggestions on what I might do to improve my technique?
  6. bassin4him

Apr 29, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Hey, I've got the same problem with clicking. C'mon somebody! How about some pointers to improve technique.

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Use a lighter touch. Let your amp do the work. This will improve your sound and your playing speed. Most likely the clicking will disappear.

Improve and optimize your finger movements. Minimizing your finger movement will result in cleaner and faster execution.
  8. electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    Thanks for the info. Hey JMX, where did you find that nintendo quote? that's awsome!
  9. zionnn

Apr 24, 2000
    this may not be any help, but...

To me it's an issue of getting the correct hand posture... one of the things I find if you rest your thumb on the pick-up you can achieve the parallel to the fret board string vibration that you were talking about. Most bass players use their upper most string as a thumb rest when they play lower (higher pitch) strings, so if you use the same concept with your pick-up when you play the upper most string, it should fix the problem. I also agree with JMX, he has very good advice. Main thing try to elevate your hand more so your fingers aren’t applying as much of a downward stroke.

heh that Nintendo sig is pretty cool :D

10. bassin4him

Apr 29, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    The clicking I'm talking about occurs when the string is fretted.

Since I posted the earlier reply, I raised the action slightly (a quarter turn on each bridge saddle) and that really helped. But I still don't understand why that eliminated some of the problem.
  11. the reason it helped it is because you raised the strings up prolly less than .3mm but when your talking action .2mm is a giant leap...