Does such a bass exist?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dmaki, Jun 12, 2002.

1. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    I'm looking for a new bass, as I have been for a long time now, and I can't seem to find "the one". I'm looking for something moderately lightweight, that balances well (I don't want to be playing it horizontally), with a fast neck with good string tension (I love MusicMan necks), and 2 pickups (the only reason I don't own a Sterling). I don't know if such a bass exists, but if you can think of one that does, please let me know. Right now I have an Ibanez GSR 200 with EMG's in it, and I'm looking for something a little more solidly built, with more of a warmer growly tone, but versatile and light... Fenders don't feel right, Gibsons are too clunky, Musicmans don't have enough tonal variety, and most everything else I've played is missing one of the "requirements" I have... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated:D

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  3. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    I've actually been meaning to play a Lakland Skyline (I don't think I could afford a real one) with the MM-J pickup configuration, but I can't find a dealer near me... I'll have to make a road trip and check one out... The body shape kinda throws me off, but if it sounds and plays great, then a slightly not-perfect (in my mind) body shape doesn't really matter... Keep the suggestions comin:)

4. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    spector? i dunno i'm just throwin ideas.
  5. The body shape on the Laklands is much better-looking when it's hanging off of you rather than sitting vertical on a stand. Sorta like a Ric or a Carl Thompson, really.
  6. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    I know MM used to make a two p/up bass when they first started or shortly thereafter.I can't remember what it was called.Might be a little hard to find now.
  7. I think the old MM's were called the Sabres.

Munji, that is a beautiful Lakland, major GAS build up!!:eek: :D
  8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Skylines are a great least the 55-02 (I have one and never played an 01). It's like a Jazz and a Ray had a baby, as far as tonal options go.

Another one with good tonal variety is a G&L ASAT. The one in this pic is used;

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
  10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I also say that you should go for the G&L.

I would recommend either the ASAT or the L-2000. They have the same electronics, but difierent body styles. There is also an ASAT hollowbody that I havent tried, but think would sound good.

G&L has a reputation for being extreemely versitile. I love my L-2500 (5 string L-2000), and could not do without it.

11. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Say hello to the Cort Curbow 4 or 5

The Curbow-4 bass features a patented Luthite body, Canadian hard rock maple neck, Ebonol fretboard, Bartolini MK1 pickups & MK1 EQ.

-Luthite body
    -Hard maple neck, ebonol fretboard
    -Bartolini MK1 pickups & MK2 EQ
    -US $695.00

The Curbow-5 bass features a patented Luthite body, Canadian hard rock maple neck, Ebonol fretboard, Bartolini MK1 pickups & MK1 EQ.

-Luthite body
    -Hard maple neck, ebonol fretboard
    -Bartolini MK1 pickups & MK1 EQ
    -US $795.00

Yes, I copied that off the web site. :D

They are very light, and have a beautiful neck. The only thing that makes these basses not meet your nds, are the fact that they dont have 2 pickups. But are you just wanting 2 pickups so you can rest your thumb on one, or do you want it to be louder? If it's because you want it to be louder, then I think these pickups can supply any amount of noise that you require. On the other hand, if you are looking for a place to put your thumb, a thumb rest is a adequate and simple solution.
  12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Two pickups don't make a bass any louder!!!

They are used to give you tonal variation (they sense different points on the strings, so have different harmonic content).
  13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If I'm not misunderstanding what was meant --- more pups don't equal more output in the end result.

That's your preamp's/amp's job. High gain pups/pups with a dookie amp will be wimpy.

Then there's other factors such as magnet composition, string composition, pot quality, and string velocity, among others.

"More" can be "less."
  14. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Question: Am I the only one who thinks that the Skyline's neck is, well, quite thick?

I was all geeked to try one out for the first time a while back and was immediately turned off by the neck. Granted, it's all personal taste, but does anyone else share this opinion? Personally, for that price range, I'd place it farther down on the list than most.*

Also, I didn't find the neck to be all that speedy, relatively speaking.

*I know, I know - blasphemy. But hey - someone has to buck conventional wisdom! ;)
  15. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Try out some ESP's...The one's I've played, even the "F" series sound/play great...Active EQ (most of the time it's an EMG)....EMG pickups (for the most part), balance pretty good...Nice looking...etc.
  16. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The bolt-on NS-J Spectors might work, because they're swamp ash bodies, instead of maple. Maple-body Spectors are damned heavy! Mine is close to 10-1/2 pounds.
  17. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    buy a sterling with piezo's...

that's another pickup, and you have 3 positions to choose from in the magnetic pickup in the first place.... that's tonal variation
  18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  19. supernatural-si

Jun 13, 2002