Does the bassist for spocks beard use a pick?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bassist31588, Apr 27, 2003.

1. I dont even know his name, but his tone has a lot a bite and is practically the same as Chris Squire's. I assume he uses a ric and I'm just curious if he uses a pic and what bass he uses?
  2. But I've heard some Billy Sheehan stuff with Mr. Big, and he gets a similar tone and he doesn't use a pick.
  3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    His name is Dave Meros. I don't know if he plays with a pick or not, but I do know he plays/played with a Ric.
  4. I figured he did. That's probably one of the most recognizable tones in a bass, it's so unique. I like it. ;)
  5. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    It sounds like he uses another bass also. There is a part near the close of "At the End of they Day" that definatley isn't a Ric. It almost sounds like a Stingray. Anyways, he has a beautiful Ric sound and I really like his playing. He does a lot of very tasteful fills.
  6. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Dave Meros almost exclusively uses a pick.
  7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Great bassist... very underrated IMO.
  8. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Most definitely.
  9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    He is a great player......and it sure sounds like a pick to me.
  10. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Not sure, but I can tell you that Spock's Afro DEFINITELY uses a pick.

Once again...if anyone needs me I'll be over here kicking my own a$$.

brad cook
  11. a bit old, but .. oh well..

DAve MERos does use a pic and his Ric is modified... it has J-BAss Pickups in the usual Jazzbass positions, and one of the steroe-outputs goes with the J-Pu's and the other one with the Ric Pu'S
  12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Yeah....I picked up their DVD and he plays with a pick most of the time. He also uses his fingers on a couple songs....but mostly it's a pick.
  13. Splanky

Jun 10, 2002
    Gothenburg Sweden
    Nicked of from the Spock´s beard site:
    Bass: 1982 Rickenbacker 4001 modified with Badass Bridge, 4 pickups: 2 in the usual Rickenbacker positions and 2 in the Fender Jazz Bass positions

Strings: DR Hi Beams

Bass Synth: Korg Prophecy triggered by Rolls Electronics Midi Step pedals

Preamp / effects: Digitech RP-21D (tube preamp / digital effects)

Amp: Trace Elliot preamp, Balder 300w power amp, two speaker cabinets: one with 1- EV15" and an EV horn tweeter, one with 1- JBL 15"

For live shows, I go from the bass into the RP-21, then into the amp and mic the amp. In the studio I go from the bass into both a direct box and the RP-21 / POD Pro, then both the DI and the POD go direct into seperate channels on the mixing desk

On the latest cd he also play´s some really tastefull frettless lines.
    Defenetly underrated player, very versitile and always makes himself heard without cluttering the song. IMHO!