Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does the bassist for spocks beard use a pick?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bassist31588, Apr 27, 2003.

1. I dont even know his name, but his tone has a lot a bite and is practically the same as Chris Squire's. I assume he uses a ric and I'm just curious if he uses a pic and what bass he uses?

2. But I've heard some Billy Sheehan stuff with Mr. Big, and he gets a similar tone and he doesn't use a pick.

3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    His name is Dave Meros. I don't know if he plays with a pick or not, but I do know he plays/played with a Ric.

4. I figured he did. That's probably one of the most recognizable tones in a bass, it's so unique. I like it. ;)

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    It sounds like he uses another bass also. There is a part near the close of "At the End of they Day" that definatley isn't a Ric. It almost sounds like a Stingray. Anyways, he has a beautiful Ric sound and I really like his playing. He does a lot of very tasteful fills.

6. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Dave Meros almost exclusively uses a pick.

7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Great bassist... very underrated IMO.

8. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    Most definitely.

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    He is a great player......and it sure sounds like a pick to me.

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Not sure, but I can tell you that Spock's Afro DEFINITELY uses a pick.

*rimshot*

Once again...if anyone needs me I'll be over here kicking my own a$$.

brad cook

11. a bit old, but .. oh well..

DAve MERos does use a pic and his Ric is modified... it has J-BAss Pickups in the usual Jazzbass positions, and one of the steroe-outputs goes with the J-Pu's and the other one with the Ric Pu'S

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Yeah....I picked up their DVD and he plays with a pick most of the time. He also uses his fingers on a couple songs....but mostly it's a pick.

13. Splanky

Splanky

Jun 10, 2002
    Gothenburg Sweden
    Nicked of from the Spock´s beard site:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bass: 1982 Rickenbacker 4001 modified with Badass Bridge, 4 pickups: 2 in the usual Rickenbacker positions and 2 in the Fender Jazz Bass positions

Strings: DR Hi Beams

Bass Synth: Korg Prophecy triggered by Rolls Electronics Midi Step pedals

Preamp / effects: Digitech RP-21D (tube preamp / digital effects)

Amp: Trace Elliot preamp, Balder 300w power amp, two speaker cabinets: one with 1- EV15" and an EV horn tweeter, one with 1- JBL 15"

For live shows, I go from the bass into the RP-21, then into the amp and mic the amp. In the studio I go from the bass into both a direct box and the RP-21 / POD Pro, then both the DI and the POD go direct into seperate channels on the mixing desk
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the latest cd he also play´s some really tastefull frettless lines.
    Defenetly underrated player, very versitile and always makes himself heard without cluttering the song. IMHO!