1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does the Delay mess up my tone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Crunka, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Crunka

Crunka

Mar 11, 2006
    Stockton, Ca
    You know, would it muddy up the tone like crazy? Or will it completely ruin the low-end in the song?

Because i was thinking of buying a Boss DD-20 or 6 or 3.

2. I've used some delays before, and none of them have screwed up my tone. Make sure you put it last in your chain, though, of course.

3. Crunka

Crunka

Mar 11, 2006
    Stockton, Ca
    It would be my first pedal though.

4. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    it will affect change your sound in a huge- but there's a million and one cool things to be done with a delay pedal, so it's up to you to decide ifit screws it up.
    My advice is to go try out as many ones as you can- although the bones aren't a bad starting point. see how you like them, then practice with it all hours of the day before taking it to a band setting. most effects can screw up your tone if you're not in control of them.

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    It will muddy up your tone if you're using it improperly. If you keep the mix on high and repeats up high and you're playing all over the neck, then yes it'll sound pretty awful. I've been using delay for every song lately to give it a warmer reverby sound, you just gotta turn the mix down. It will enhance your low-end if used properly. :)

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Petary's right, it'll sound just fine if you know what you're doing. Delay is one of my favorite effects, my only gripe is that I can't afford one :-D

7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I prefer Reverb over Delay.

8. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    I have the DD6, it doesnt ruin all your tone, but may deteriorit just a little.

I think all of them have the HOLD function, which let you record a little phrase, and then it loops it. There you have her the tone suckage, recorded tone is notisable different than the clean one.