Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does the Double Muff suck out your low end? and more EHX questions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Secondhandloser, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    I got a chance to run through Russian and American Big muffs the other day at GC, and I really liked the sounds, especially the russian. Anyways, they had a double muff, and I though it would be cool to have two gain stages so I was gonna run through it, and a store clerk kicked me out of the pedal area. ("don;t you know you can fry a guitar pedal by running a bass through it", i love people like that). ANyways, I hAve heard mixed reviews on Double Muffs getting along with low end, an d I was wondering what the deal is. Also, I took a look inside a Russian muff, and the thing was wired for true bypass. From the Factory. Has anyone heard about EHX changing tghat? Also, I was wondering how the bassballs, Small Stone, and mini Q tron sound...

2. Haaahaa!!! :rollno:

Concerning the Double Muff I am no help...sorry
    Never tried it..

3. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    yeah... I've noticed that the folk in GC are hit or miss... the good ones sell the amps and guitars.. the idiots stand behind counters and act like they know what they are doing :nono:

I'm a BIG EHX Fan. Never tried the double muff, but I use the Russian Big Muff, and I don't notice a huge loss of low-end, especially if you keep the tone knob down.

For a "dual gain stage", I use a Russian Big Muff for fuzz/distortion (gotta love the rich, muffy overtones and harmonics) and I use a Hot Tubes for mild overdrive and crunch.

I have both the USA and Russan Bassballs, and both have no loss of bottom end when activated. I borrowed a friend's vintage Small Stone and again, no loss. All of these sound great on bass.

Never used the Q-tron...

4. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I love my USA Small Stone. It sounds great on bass and doesn't suck the low end out.

I also have a USA Small Clone chorus pedal, and that one does seem to do something a little wonky on the lower side of things. It *is* a "Full Chorus" (which I take to mean it modulates the whole frequency spectrum) though... and I do use it mostly on guitar (which was my original intent in getting this pedal.)

5. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    i have the double muff, i tend to lose a little tiny bit of bottom but not enough to completely annoy me. If you keep your tone knob rolled off (like everything i post i'm talking in terms of a jazz bass :p ) it's fine, it goes from slightly dirty tone to balls out distortion. you can get some good cliff stuff out, i tend to use it just to dirty up my stuff. for fuzz and and thick distortion i use a boss odb3

hey, anyone ever notice that stands for old dirty bastard?
    ::pours a forty out on desk:::

6. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    How would the Double muff hold up to muse style fingerstyle or lighly overdriven pick style, as that is all I would really use it for?

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The Double Muff is essentially a pair of stripped down Big Muff circuit with less tonal controls, and frankly, the switch needs to be replaced with a stomp switch to be truly useful. The pedal sounded fine, and lost a tad bit of bottom end, but for me it was either too gentle or too harsh.

And that clown you encountered at GC is a moron. Print out the Effects forum FAQ by yours truly and read it to him. I want to see the look on his face when some guy on the internet flat out says he's full of it.

The Russian Muff is true bypass? Are you sure? Did it have the blue 3PDT switch?

The Bassballs, Small Stone and Mini Q are fine but play before you buy. I've owned a couple of Bassballs pedals, never worked for me, but the people I sold them to love them. Also, the Mini Q tron, is a little too basic for me. Better off spending the extra couple of bucks and getting the regular Q-Tron. IMO of course.

The Small Stone is a wonderful effect, I'm on the prowl for a good deal on one myself.

8. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    ^ Yeah, I would try, but GC is an hour away without traffic, and doesn't even always have the pedals out, and its such a pain to have them get the pedals out... and isn't the Double Muff two muff fuzz circuits, not muff pi's?
    And as far as the pedal goes, I first got suspicious when I cranked the controls while it was off, and I got no noise ( my way of chekcing for true bypass) and then asking a clerk, who popped of the back and compared it to an AMerican and said it had a 9 lug hookup ( w/e that means) and therefore was true bypass... idk for sure though, EHX has given me conflicting answers...

9. xpcapox

xpcapox

Nov 19, 2004
    if the russians have tru bypass thats awsome,and i know where my paycheck is going.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Like I said, a pair of two STRIPPED DOWN Big Muff circuits. Most people these days don't recognize a Muff Fuzz if it bit them, besides, the Big Muff was just an embellishment on this. But you're right.

And trust me man, they're worth playing. Each one's a little difference (once again, owned about 6 different American Muff's (5 RI's and an original) two black Russians, a green Sovtek, double Muff, Deluxe Big Muff, Little Big Muff and an English Muff'n)

I'm not the king of muff for nothing.

11. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    How does the Muff'n work on bass? Does it keep low end and sound good and all? That would be an awesome pedal...

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  13. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    tplyons, would u happen to know how to do that or of a website that would explain it? it would really just be changing out the switch with a footswitch right? and adding an LED to be completely useful.

14. yup, if your talkin' bout the series parallel stuff.

I've said it once and i'll say it again...I think the best distortion pedal EHX has ever made tone wise (on bass) is the muff fuzz (the original, with transistors). I build em all the time for my business and I own 5 of them myself (along with 2 BMP's, one triangle muff, a little big muff, an ancient frequency analyser, bad stone phaser, 16 sec. delay....as well as SO much other eh stuff (bought it all back when it was cheap as well as good 8^/ ). I like the double muff...somewhat. It's got the bucket loads of gain, but unlike the BMP or the muff fuzz, it doesn't have the insane muddy bass. They kinda raised all the coupling caps inside so that there's a bass cut (because on the original bmps, you couln't palm mute anything on guitar if you had the gain up, cause there was so much bass). I'd say...if you are lookin' for a good pedal, try and find an orig. muff fuzz. I do have a custom shop for pedals, so if that's what you're lookin' for, you can pm me if you wish. Another really good bmp is the way huge swollen pickle...know the dude personally...nice guy, makes excellent pedals.

Cheers,

Nish

P.S. The double muff is two muff fuzzes. They've just been modified a slight bit (and are the opamp versions...which I don't like as much...they are the muff fuzzes produced just before they stopped makin' em..kinda bad sounding IMHO).

15. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    so is there a way to allow more bass into the mix by lowering the cap value? like could a little session with a soldering iron cure this?

16. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I have a ruskie Big Muff reissue and I liked the tone solo but once I put in the mix in my drop c metal band I was lost in the mix. I need to get it fixed and rock out on it again in my fuzz rock band for sure.

17. I do mods normally for most of the muff series of EHX pedals. For the double muff...it's two quick fixes. One per circuit (personally I set one to be rather low, and the other to be higher, so you can dial in either a dark (but not muddy) bass heavy channel, and mix in the high mids (this is I can get the "sober" tone down with a small yorkville, and a washburn XB125). If you need some help, feel free to pm me.

Cheers,

Nish

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Adding the LED would take a bit of work, but swapping for a stomp switch isn't too bad as long as what's there is a DPDT toggle.

19. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Yes. I do this on Big Muff's, just can't remember which caps to replace with what. Haven't done it in a while and I lost my notes.

20. Btw, someone asked about the mini-q tron. Works nicely on bass for slap stuff. You might have to play with the volume though (esp. if you have an active eq). This filters a bit finicky, so if you bass drives hard, be prepared to lower the volume on it to prevent the filter from peaking out too far/too quick.

Cheers,

Nish