1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does the Eden 210XST have a Limiter of some sort?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bobbystopholes, Oct 2, 2009.

1. A couple of years ago, I picked up an Eden 210XST (4Ohms). I had an Ampeg SVT-III Pro at the time and now run a Little Mark II. I LOVE this cab. So loud and so good.

Love the sound with either head and had no problem when I was running my old 1992 Ibanez SR506 (Iba) through the set up. Sounded great. Just picked up a mid-90's MIM P-bass (Patricia) and it sounds great all night long. My problem is that my Active Warwick Corvette Standard 5-string (Woobie) sometimes causes the head to drop in volume, periodically through the night.

Now, Woobie is a hot bass, it's almost twice as loud as Iba, so I'm thinking the problem is that the signal causes the speakers to "stick". It's like the speakers intentionally cut their movement significantly so as not to blow.

Does this sound right? If it's not the speaker, then it must be the bass and I'll start looking there.

Thanks for any input and thanks for reading through all of that! :D

2. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    I'm no expert, but it's not the cab. Better start looking elsewhere in the signal chain.

3. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    The only limiter in the Eden cab is for the horn, there is a fuse/lamp protection circuit for that......but thats it.

4. Could be one of three things:

1) You are overdriving the input of the head, causing it to clamp. So, first thing, turn the input gain down a small amount and compensate by turning up the master

2) You are hitting the power amp limiting of the LMII. There are a few people who have experienced this with the LMII (and it has happened to me with a few amps that I drove too hard), and it can happen if you have a very hot bass with a very aggressive playing style, or if you just play really loud.

3) You could be driving your speakers beyond their capabilities. That combination of power compression and the speakers extending beyond their designed xmax can sound very similar to compression/limiting, with a drop in low end (which can be perceived as a general volume drop).

My guess is, it is a combination of all the above, assuming nothing is actually wrong with the amp. Your solution is to get a larger cab, since you wouldn't have to push the amp nor speaker as hard (given the large cabs higher SPL and capability of moving more air per watt).

5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Could be the impedance of the speakers increasing as heat build up in the motor system over the course of the night causes the resistance of the voice coils to increase, thus reducing the amount of power your amp can deliver. If it's happening with one bass but not another it would have to be because you're playing louder and/or the problematic instrument has a lot more bottom.

Alex

6. Thanks for the input guys!

I don't think it's the LMII since the SVT did the same thing. I tried turning down the bass AND playing softer. It does it a lot less, but still happens. I tried a night with zero pedals and it happened again.

Since there isn't a limiter on the speakers, and my other basses don't do it, it is probably the Warwick. Now I have to pay someone to find an intermittent problem with a bass... good luck to me :meh: