1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does the EHX La Machine pedal make a sound like Royal Blood?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nellep, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Nellep

Nellep

Oct 10, 2019
    I recently watched the 'how to sound like royal blood without busting the bank' by andertons music co.
    And at a later stage in the video they showcase the 'La Machine' I was wondering if they were just using this effect when they show it or were they also using any other effects.

Thanks a lot

Nellep

2. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    A quick Google search shows an MXR La Machine - is that what you meant?

3. Posting a link to the video would have been prudent, but just reading the word Anderton's makes me feel dubious about it.

stambroker likes this.
  4. Nellep

Nellep

Oct 10, 2019
    Yes that is what I mean, my mistake I always mix these two companies up. They're just so similar with their name.

FilterFunk likes this.
  5. Nellep

Nellep

Oct 10, 2019
    Here is a link, they start using la machine at around 18 minutes in.

6. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Nope.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  7. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    I'll help out:

8. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    It was actually Royal Blood that really made me take a hard look into pedals. Previously, I just used a Korg Pandora Stomp to add a little grit or reverb when needed. But anyway, I dove head first into effects and trying to recreate that Royal Blood sound.

I'm not familiar with the MXR La Machine so I can't comment on how it would sound BUT I do know that the La Machine alone won't get the sound you're looking for. Maybe if you include a Boss TU-3, which is capable of splitting 1 input into 2 outputs, or a Boss LS-2 or similar line selector/splitter pedal from another company. You need to be able to send a dry bass signal to you bass amp while sending an octave up to a guitar amp. If you guitar amp has built-in distortion, you can get by without a dedicated distortion/fuzz pedal. There are a few people on YouTube who have posted videos showing you can get by with a EHX POG -- which has separate dry out/effect out to send to separate amps -- and a Boss TU-3 to toggle between guitar sound and bass sound.

NOTE: I have a Boss PS-6 Harmonist pedal to add fifths to the guitar sound, ZVEX Mastotron for the fuzz, and previously had a EHX POG 2 before selling it when I decided I was spending too much money.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  9. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I listened to the La Machine demos online. It sounds like an Octavia, which has a cool whiny vocal vibe. But nothing like Royal Blood.

The MXR Sub Machine on the other hand, does a decent job. In parallel mode, it gives you a clean octave down plus fuzz on the bass signal. You can also add an analog "octave up" for more bite. Not perfect, but not crappy either. :thumbsup:

Aqualung60 likes this.
  10. Nellep

Nellep

Oct 10, 2019
    Thank you all, I will look into the suggestions and see what I can do, thanks.

11. AionQliao

AionQliao

Feb 21, 2020
    Hey, guys, I'm doing my version of this and I was wondering if you can use a ABY after the octaver to save money and only use one of these...
    My wild guess is that it will keep me from doing some things
    Am I right, am I not?

12. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Are you thinking octaver outputs into the ABY which sends to two different amps?

Whatever you do with whatever combination of pedals, you need a clean signal going to your bass amp and the octave up signal to your guitar amp.

13. AionQliao

AionQliao

Feb 21, 2020
    I'll give a try after work n see what happens.
    (I do have more octavers, but cheap stuff sounds like crap)

14. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I could be wrong or misunderstanding the purpose of the ABY but it sounds to me like all it will do is send the "wet" signal from the octave pedal to two different amps. What you need is either:

A) ...to split your bass signal BEFORE the octave pedal so that you send one signal to the pedal to be sent up 1 octave and then into a fuzz pedal where it is then sent to a guitar amp. Meanwhile, the other signal from the splitter remains "dry" and sent to a bass amp.

B) ...to get a EHX POG which has both a wet output and dry output. The POG basically acts as your splitter.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021