1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does the Genzler Magellan 350 have "color"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KJMO, Nov 25, 2018.

1. KJMO

KJMO

Feb 6, 2015
    I'm considering the genzler and a bunch of the other usual suspects (especially the aguilar th350). I'm wondering if the genzler can add any kind of color because I like that the aguilar (I had one) adds a nice tone. I also liked the tone of the vt pedal, but it caused problems for foh, so not too much color. I want something less than 400, but would also like 500w, so I was considering the BQ500, but it says 500 max watts, so I'm not sure it's really any more powerful than a good 350w, and some think it's sterile. I've heard the tc combos and didn't like them. With all the options and limited funds I'm having the same analysis paralysis everyone does! Oh, and markbass. I consider the markbass amps somewhat colored, but am not super fond of the color.

2. the contour controls on the Genzler can make a huge impact.
    • Curve A — Classic to Modern — Mid Scoop Curve
    • Curve B — Thicker to Vintage — Low-Mid Bump w/Tapered Top End
    Add a versatile EQ section and you can get a lot of different tones from the head.

That said, I don't think it has quite as much of a baked in tone as some other brands

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    jeff7bass and KJMO like this.
  3. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I had a Magellan 800. I would call it "colored" but not extremely so -- less wooly and more clear than the Aguilar TH500 (which I also owned for awhile), but not quite as clear/neutral/open up top as a Euphonic Audio Doubler (which I haven't owned, but I did play them side by side)... I posted some clips of it and a few other amps here.

The Markbass amps are supposed to scope pretty flat, but I'd agree that they have a color and I suppose that it's due to factors that go beyond their frequency response graphs.

I liked the EQ and the intelligently implemented Contour controls of the Magellan. Nice D.I., good headphone output, and a clean, useful, Aux-in, too. Something about the way it colors the sound lent my Bartolini-equipped Brubaker Brute a subtle 70s Jazz Bass vibe that was nasty in a good way -- lots of snap and growl and a killer slap tone -- maybe the best I've heard from that bass.

For me, the main knock on the amp was its transient response in the deep lows, which was more compressed than I'd like (plenty of snap, though, from the low mids on up), but then I feel that way about a lot of small heads (and some big ones). I think it has something to do with the 700 ASC module used in that amp (and several others), but I don't have enough experience to say that definitively and a lot of people seem to dig that bit (and it's just a bit) of "cush"/roundness in the lows.

I've never played a Magellan 350, but the 800 struck me as a well-built and thoughtfully designed amp.

ErnieD and KJMO like this.
  4. It has a great DI, run it pre to run it clean to the house or post to add a bit of color.
    Minus the drive it will do this.

catcauphonic and KJMO like this.
  5. as I understand it, the preamp of the 350 and 800 (I have both) is the same other than the second channel in the 800.

KJMO likes this.
  6. KJMO

KJMO

Feb 6, 2015
    Well, thanks, I just ordered one for a good price. I am worried it's not powerful enough, but I tend to think it will be for most stuff. Now I need to find good deal on another ba10-2!

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  7. RNG1

RNG1

Mar 1, 2015
    I bought one as a backup to my main rack setup and to use for smaller gigs. With 2 cabinets I couldn’t believe how loud this amp can be and and still sound tight. Amazing little amp.

KJMO and revroy like this.
  8. Could have gone for the 800. :D

The neat thing about the Genzlers is the Volume is even the whole rotation of the knob. So I can and do use the 800 for home and small volume gigs and it sounds full and great. Unlike other amps that you play under volume at one or two notches up it sound thin until you reach the third notch then it gets too loud for the situation, then at noon there is all your power.

The Genzlers allow for a smoother even increase in volume from just enough to be heard in a small room all the way to destruction mode. (with the right cabs.)

Also on this note, because of this even volume range you may feel that the amp is not as loud as others at the same setting. This is because most amps try to impress you by giving all their power around the noon setting. This makes you think, "Wow it is that loud at this low a setting it must be very powerful, but really it is almost at its limit that early.
    Trust us the Genzler has more to give past noon, keep turning if you need to.

Once you get it or today is good, come head over here. Click>Genzler Amplification Club
    We love pictures.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    revroy and KJMO like this.
  9. KJMO

KJMO

Feb 6, 2015
    I'm thinking that if I really need more volume, I can use the di out to my yamaha dxr10, and use the di on my tonebone for foh. But I really want another ba110 :)

10. the BA10-2 marries very nicely to a BA12-3 too... that gives you even more versatility :thumbsup:

11. KJMO

KJMO

Feb 6, 2015
    That's really not a bad idea. Have you ever seen a picture with the 10 on top of the 12? Plus, I love the weight of the 10, but I guess 30 something isn't too bad. That's what my Yamaha speaker weighs. The 10's don't come up very often, so that might be a really good idea.

12. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Analysis Paralysis is a candidate for the Accidental Band Name thread :thumbsup:

kobass and S-Bigbottom like this.
  13. Click> Genzler Amplification Club it is in there.

revroy and KJMO like this.
  14. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    Just kinda researching and adding this 350w head to my shopping. I just bought a Rumble 100w V3 12" combo. I really like the tone this little, very light amp is giving me. I have a few micro-amps but this Fender sounds different than those, in a good way.

Since I like the Rumble combo tone, figured I'd look at the amp head. Found some Rumble 350 amps, mostly used only. But for the price and hoping to reproduce the combos' tone, the 500 V3 head seems the way to go. But after reading and listening to the Genzler Mag 350w head, really liking its' features.

Just not sure I will get my combos' tone out of it, prolly gona be too clean. And I never use/like the Drive of the Rumble combo, I have DarkGlass B3K V2 for that. I can use the Fender combo with line out to house PA. That's not always available to me. So a 350-500w head and one of my many GK, GB, Ampeg, Barefaced cabs would have to work with my new amp head. Not buying anymore cabs...or basses; this year. :rollno:

So still window shopping but I'm close. Rumble 500w V3 still head of the pack. Happy Holidays, y'all. e.

15. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    Surely destruction mode is what would happen with the *wrong* cabs... [Gdr]

16. Can, but I meant it as knocking down pictures and bottles from the walls and shelves. Or as one did in The Genzler Club with 3 of the Genzler 12 Array Cabs broke a window in his house. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Marty Forrer likes this.