Does the Mark Hoppus sound like a standard P-bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diomedes, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Diomedes

Sep 3, 2005
    So here's the backstory: It's my birthday in a week or so (Sept. 11) and I've been looking for a new bass. Right on I'm that squier starter thing on a GK Backline 115 :bassist: and I've been looking for a punky bass. I love Green Day and Blink-182, and the type band I'm trying to start up is going to be playing Pop-punk and alternative. Happy, just light stuff and I've been looking for light bass. Don't get me wrong, I love 311 and RHCP, but I don't want a bass that's E string is like an atomic boom, I just want one that sounds light and kinda flighty. I've been looking at a Spector Legend 4-string, and while it sounds great, it's a little too boomy for me and I went and tried a Fender standard P and J bass becuase the genre is mostly dominated by those, and I loved the sound of a Precision, and I'd seen the Hoppus on the internet and loved the look of it, but neither of my GC's has one to play, but I figure if I like the sound and playability of a P bass, and its just a J body with P pickups and neck, I'll love it too right? Also, I have tried the Mike Dirnt one, and while it sounds just like Green Day, I hate the looks and weight.

So, back to the thread title, Does the Hoppus sound like a Precision?
  2. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    because of Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound pickup in them, they sound like a Precision but with a bit more low end and more of an obnoxious sounding high-mid... great if you like that cutting kind of sound but not suitable for everything... if you like the sound of the bass intro of Blink's 'Online Songs' for example, then the Hoppus will give you that...

although there are other options... a P-Bass with a Quarter Pound in will give you the same sound.... and if you like the jazz bass look, an Aerodyne Jazz bass with a Quarter Pound will give you more tone options because of the jazz bass bridge pickup
  3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Yes and no. I have been playing one for three years now (it's my everyday practice bass). It has one sound, the agressive sound of the SD pickups (I think basslines quarterpounders). It is a very aggressive p tone that not everyone is partial to. I think it would be great for the type of music you are going to play, but keep in mind that the amp you use will play a big part. Here are my experiences:

With a pick = Ampeg (bigger the better) and Mesa

With fingers = SWR (it sounded huge through my SM-500 and Goliath Senior) and Aguilar (what wouldn't sound good through a 750 and a Bergie NV425?)

This is a good candidate for SABDDI or Sadowsky outboard preamp support since it lacks a tone knob

Hoppus' sound worst when you grab a GC demo with dead strings and plug into one of their abused demo amps. I really like mine when I run it into my old bass Rockman. YMMV!
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its not bad, i saw a band the other day where the bassist played one and it had a good live tone.
  5. It basically sounds like a P-bass with a SD Quarter Pounder in it, which is essentially what it is. It's a good punk sound though, but if you're thinking about doing any alternative stuff, I would lean more towards the regular P-Bass. It's a little more mellow sounding, but still plenty agressive when you want it to be. It's just more versatile. The Jazz Bass would also be worth a look cause it's even more versatile than the P.
  6. parttimeluthier

May 7, 2005
    May I suggest combine the Mark Hoppus sig. bass with a 7 to 10 band graphic EQ pedal such as the Boss GEB-7 or MXR 10 band eq.
    This would make the Hoppus bass much more versatile as you can either boost or cut specific freq. bands. Also each of those pedals have a master level that can boost or cut so you can either tame the pickup down or really boost it!
  7. Diomedes

Sep 3, 2005
    Alrighty guys, thanks for all the info so far, one thing though, I know about the lack of tonal versatility, but couldnt I with an equalizer of some kind? (I'm look into the Line 6 Bass Pod and maybe some pedals) I am leaning towards getting this, it's simply the sexiest bass ever and I love the tone of the P's
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    People don't buy P's for their tonal variety. They buy them for the one thing they do better than any other bass...sound like a P. But yes, a programmable EQ would get you a few different sounds if you absolutely think you need them. Me, I just turn my P up and play!
  9. I personally think the Hoppus is the most useless bass I've ever seen and heard. One tone, limited uses, ugly colors and not worth the wood that was used to make it.
  10. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I think there are any number of existing threads that this comment leads us to. I believe the question was in regards to the tonality of the bass.
  11. tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    aint that the truth... to be honest I run my P to the amp with the EQ set FLAT! and I jsut turn down the tone knob... :bag: what can i say it sounds good :cool: