does the mexican-precision have exactly the same pups as american made??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by zycro, Aug 6, 2004.

1. zycro

Jul 28, 2004
    does the mexican-precision have exactly the same pups as american made precision?? Or it some cheapo set to cut costs?

2. doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY uncle worked for them for a while...i think i remember him saying that the electronics were can definitely tell the pots are different...and i've always found that the americans sound better...the necks are diff too...the deluxe active mims have american electronics though...
  3. odie

odie Supporting Member

They are different. Play both and use your ears to decide.
  4. The Pickups are different. I took the mexican ones out, and put US made ones in. To be honest, I felt the Mexican ones sounded better, definately more attack, if a little too twangy, the US ones sounded so ordinary. Anyway, in the end I put a Basslines Quarterpounder in it, and the bass came to life ! awsome !
  5. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I agree with rssjm to a degree. The Mexi pickups are cheap, but they are hot and spanky. Not a bad tone, but a bit noisy for studio work. I don't think that the Mexican pickups are better than the American standard pickups, but the US pickups are so compressed that they come off flat compared to most other p-pickups.

I always replace the pickups on Mexi and US p-basses. There are so many good p-pickups on the market for less than $100 that it's worth the cost to upgrade.
  6. zycro

Jul 28, 2004
    thanks for the replies. what do you recommend for upgrade that wont break the bank? i am looking for a deeper fat tone for a rock cover band.

7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Bartolini P pickups are nice. Deep, fat, woody, dark.
  8. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    DiMarzio makes a nice fat P pickup as well.
  9. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    You couldn't go wrong with a Nordstrand NP4 IMHO.

Put a good switchcraft jack in there with whatever you decide on-you'll never have to worry again IME.
  10. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    the barts and norstrands are more expensive, so if you are trying to avoid "breaking the bank" I'd go with the Dimarzio model P or you can get very affordable handmade Alnico V magneted handwound pickups from Ron Sweet at:
  11. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If you are worried about price, Bill Lawrence pickups are nice clean sound pups that won't break your bank.
  12. hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    I did the SD Quater-Pounders on mine. This things sits beautifully in the mix and also made a tone of difference in the studio. Very nice tones to work with when recording. Would do it again in a heart-beat!