1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does the original source audio Sound Blox envelope filter hold up?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by deepestend, Sep 14, 2017.

1. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Just scored one for cheap on reverb and was wondering how it holds up to the current loved envelope filters like the MXR and the proton.

2. I have a Pro. These still crush most filters on the market. What they lack in mojo/feel they pick up in variety of sounds and ease of use.

johnk_10 likes this.
  3. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    I have a pro and I really like it. I had an MXR and I passed it on. I had several other filters and now I only have the BEF Pro.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    johnk_10 likes this.
  4. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Nice. I have a real Mutron clone with a blend on it, but it's mostly unusable. When it works properly, it sounds great. However, there are a lot of boomy peaks and it's hard to get it just right to work reliably in a band setting. I'd go for a little less mojo in exchange for usability.

johnk_10 and Nunovsky like this.
  5. waveman

waveman Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2008
    Sound wise, thats depends on what you expect and can get out of it. Tons of options

Build wise, I had mine on my board for several years and well over 100 gigs. I don't need one on my board anymore, so I re-did it.

Here is a quick and dirty video I put together that compares it to several others:

6. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    The guys from source audio said that they will be putting some of the old soundblox in the One Series format. I guess the filter will be one of the obvious pedals that will eventually come by. I'm really looking forward for this new filter since I've realized that this pedal is really great to work with as an envelope or with the LFO for more synthy sounds. And it works really nice with other pedals such as drives or octaves. With 6 usable presets you can get a lot of sounds just from one box.

7. waveman

waveman Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2008
    I am very hopeful a one series multiwave is coming out myself :) I could see my self getting a filter too.

Nunovsky likes this.
  8. silvertone

silvertone

Nov 6, 2007
    SF, CA
    Been through this discussion several times at TB.

Here are the EF's I own with my own perspective on each:
    -Source Audio Pro - 6 ready to use pre-sets. Great tones and great ease of use - and fun right out of the box!
    -Mr. Black Fwonkbeta - very syrupy and potent - but not super simple to dial in.
    -Chunk Systems Agent Double00 Funk - Same comments as Fwonkbeta
    -Ibanez AF-9 (Mine is vintage 1980 - works well but better for electric guitar)
    -2nd Gen Musitronics Mutron III (not HAZ - mine is circa '75 and has a hard wired power supply, not external)
    > Great juicy output but tough to get it just right and this thing is too valuable to take to gigs.

I wholeheartedly recommend the Source Audio Pro EF - the only issue I have with it, it is it's size. It sounds great

Nunovsky likes this.
  9. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    How does it compare to the Manta? Is the only difference the drive section in the manta?

Nunovsky and deepestend like this.
  10. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Good question. I don't even want a drive, just a good envelope.

11. Zane DeBord

Zane DeBord Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Brubeck Institute
    I had the smaller one. LOVED it. Have been looking to get one to replace the one i foolishly sold. I thought it was kinda hard to use at first, but if you learn exactly what the knobs do, you'll be blown away.

deepestend likes this.
  12. Zane DeBord

Zane DeBord Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2014
    Brubeck Institute
    I also had the manta, and don't miss it at all. The LFO was cool, but the drive wand the menus within knobs was annoying as hell.

13. Lots of love for the Pro, but you're asking about the smaller plain Soundblox, right?

It's ok but compared to the pro or manta I was really missing LoRetain and the ability to set the output volume, plus absolutely no presets. I personally far prefer the Manta.

14. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Yeah, I'm getting the smaller plain one.

15. I'd look for a Manta or a Pro instead, personally. Just my opinion. If you have a clean boost run after it it will be ok though.

16. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    I haven't tried the manta yet, but the BEF Pro has more filter options, 6 available presets, tap tempo, eq, and is much more tweakable since you can alter a lot of its parameters, you even have a lot more lfo options.

17. rsmith601

rsmith601 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    The small one has lots of great sounds and is easiest to use. You can't go wrong with it, at a good price. If you then find you want other features, then upgrade to Manta or the BEF Pro. All of the sounds on the simple pedal are on the more advanced ones.

deepestend and FilterFunk like this.
  18. rsmith601

rsmith601 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    By the way, the small one is now a collectors item! No longer made.

Nunovsky and deepestend like this.
  19. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Nice! $60 shipped seemed like a good deal.

20. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Got it today and it really sounds good. Covers a lot of ground that I wanted it to and all of the sounds are really good.

CHILDISHGAMBINO and Nunovsky like this.