Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does the P bass quarter pounder have the woodiness and fruitiness of the .....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Sep 15, 2005.

1. ...traditional P bass sound? Or does it lose in detail and texture as it gains in power?

More...is there anyone who uses the P bass quarter ounder for anything other than punk, metal and heavy rock generally? How does it go?

Thanks for all feedback...

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I have used the quarter pounder on my P for everything except metal and punk for almost 10 years. It's a great sounding pickup. It sounds bigger and more alive than the stock Fender and depending on what strings you use will do everything you want a P to do. I use TI flats. It also responds very well to changes in playing technique and works both fingerstyle and with a pick.

However I've never been accused of sounding fruity. Wooden, sometimes.

3. I used the QP in a '78 P for a while, and it's been a good 15 years since I've played metal. I would only caution against putting in a bass that's acoustically bright...like mine. The highs will cut your head off if you're not carefully. I used mine primarly with flats and was generally pleased with the results. It's not a vintage sounding pickup, but more of a modern, aggressive take on a P.

4. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    it's not exactly the fire-breathing rasp-monster some would have you believe.. it's really just a P-bass pickup with a tiny bit of a 'scooped' sound to it... it has plenty of the expressive P-bass mid-range we all know and love... the characteristics of the pickup don't really obliterate your ability to play subtly

I use it for punk & rock type things but there's such good low end there that you could use it for less 'grindy' applications...

5. Ha ha!!

Thanks for the feedback!

6. Thanks everyone for your anecdotes...all grist to the mill and gratefully received.

7. marwady

marwady Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Northern Michigan
    Andy,

I would agree with everyone's posts. I have 2 Ps, one is alder with a maple board and one is ash with a rosewood board. The alder has stock pups and the ash has QPs.

The QPs definitely have a bigger, brighter, more modern sound than stock pups however, be sure that is the sound you really want from a P.

I keep going back to my P Bass with stocks (Alder/Maple) when I am trying to get that classic P sound.

It is really more of a "lo-fi" kind of tone, almost like a bari-sax, but thats what makes it a P.

If you do not mind giving that up, by all means, go for the QPs, they're really nice.

IMHO, you might miss that classic tone we've all heard on about a billion records.

Just my .02

8. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

Jul 17, 2005
    Wales, UK
    I've got a set in my fretless p-bass (MIJ rosewood board, alder body (not one of the basswood bodies)) with Thomastik Flats.

The natural tone of the bass is very woody, and i find the QP lets it express it's true character without the tone getting muddy. with the tone knob up full, it is like playing with my bass unamplified, it's so clear in comparison to alot of pickups that muddy the tone and make it less distinguishable. Only problem I have with it is that the pickup has a tendancy to push the input gain of alot of amps, and it gets pretty grindy if used with a tube amp in my experience.

Cheers!
    BOB

9. Marwady and BigBassBob,

Thanks..I am getting a very full picture of this pup now.

10. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    It does have a very strong resonant peak at about 10k. But one could also argue that the big bottom of the QP (which the traditional P is lacking) would be a good complement for an acoustically bright bass. ;)

If it's too bright, use lower value pots.