Does the PA work

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Piezoman, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    My friend owns a power amp. If youve read some of my posts, I may have mentioned it. 2400 watts. I found out that he uses a PA amp.

My dad says the bass is not too good through a PA amp. He teaches music for a living so he should know.

I am wondering if the kind of amp has anything to do with it or is it just the speakers that matters???
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Assuming you use a good preamp and cabs with good response in the low end, bass sounds fine through the PA.
  3. Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    Well, he is using some good stuff. Eden cabinet, Aguialr preamp and a QSC PA amp
  4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Then you're not far from a dream setup.
  5. No Offense, but teaching music has NOTHING to do with real world gigging. That setup sounds great. You probably won't find too many people on this board using seperate components that are not using what would be considered a PA amp.
  6. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Your dad would be right if you were going straight into a pa amp w/ no preamp. If you get a nice preamp like your friend's, the rig can potentially sound better than a regular bass amp. Many PA power amps are much more powerful than dedicated bass heads, like your friend's 2400 watter, and that means more headroom, which is good for bass. Yes, speakers matter too.
  7. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I think the issue is "PA". I just looked at my QSC and it says "Power Amp" but doesn't say anything about "PA". I'm not sure where your dad is getting the "PA" reference.
  8. Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    I have no idea. My friend says it is a pa amp. I guess If I have a bunch of thouusand dollars to spnd, I'll put together a rig lik that
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A power amp of QSC quality is usually set up do deliver a flat frequency response across pretty much the full audio spectrum. Let's say your friend's amp is an RMX 2450. Its frequency response is flat across 20hz - 20khz. At -3dB, it's 5hz - 50khz. That's pretty much going to cover any fundamentals and overtones your bass is going to put out. What's going to limit a setup with this amp will be the speakers.

As JazzAd said, what you described is a dream rig. Now don't go suicidal on us here, but your dad's just wrong on this one. This doesn't mean he doesn't love you.