Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does the quality of batter make difference?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by agueybana79, Aug 26, 2005.

1. agueybana79

agueybana79

Aug 26, 2005
    Folks,

I've been battling with my Ibanez BTB405 for a while to get a nice, powerful signal to the amp. I bought myself an Ampeg BA-120 with 220 watts, enough power to fill any club and be a great monitor on an outdoor live stage.

The batteries on my bass just died on me, so I bought some regular Panasonic $1.99 for two 9-volt batteries.

I put them in. I had to crank my ampeg all the way to 10 on VOlume AND Level, and put my bass's volume to 10 JUST to have a satisfying volume on an outdoor stage. I'm sure that this is not the best that my Ampeg can do, and I'm guessing the problem is the battery.

Does it make a difference in amplified signal to the amp if you have quality batteries? If so, what's the best battery to have in a bass to produce maximum signal sent to the amp?

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    It's the bottom of the ninth, your team is down by two runs, the bases are loaded and there's 2 outs. Hell yeah the quality of the batter makes a difference!

As for the rest of your email, it sounds like you have a preamp problem in your bass, not a battery problem. Then again, I only use duracell or energizer batteries in mine.....

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

No no no!

You need good batter or the cake comes out heavy and dense. Make sure you whip the batter to fill it with air before baking.

4. agueybana79

agueybana79

Aug 26, 2005
    so, if it's a preamp problem, what do you do to go about fixing it?

I'm gonna look for some powerful Duracell and Energizer batteries and try them. Yesterday, at a gig, the power was weak, we opened it up, and the batteries were not strongly latched onto the battery contact on the bass. We squeezed it tighter and the sound became stronger. That's why I'm thinking that maybe it's a battery issue.

5. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    That would be a problem with your battery clip, not the batteries. There's no difference between new 9V batteries of different brands. They all start out just above 9V then spend about a week at 9V, then gradually taper off, spending most of their time between 9V and 7V. How long they last between 9V and 7V and how gradual the taper is the quality issue of a battery. That's where different brands offer different performance.

But if your Panasonics are new, then the issue is with your bass, not the batteries.

6. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    As to how to go about fixing your pre, take it to a tech. If it's just a bad connection at the battery clip, that's 30 seconds with a soldering iron and a $2 replacement part (if you go heavy duty- the standard battery clips are about 25 cents).