Does The RB5 Nail The P-Bass Tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bgavin, May 15, 2002.

1. Yes - The RB5 Can Replace My P-Bass

2 vote(s)
  2. No - Only a P-Bass Nails The P-Tone

14 vote(s)
  3. Other - Read The Posts

4 vote(s)
  1. As the poll owner, I vote NO.

My 1996 RB5 is wonderful, high quality bass with multiple switching capabilities, but it is still a J bass. It does not nail the percussive P-bass tone. I changed strings between rounds and TI Jazz flats without success. I had to buy a P-bass to get that tone.
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I voted No, but I will say that when set up the right way (e.g. using the neck pup in series mode with TI flats) the RB5 produces a really nice thump that would be reasonably close enough for anyone but a hardcore P-bass fanatic. :)
  3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The RB5 is fundamentally a Jazz bass, but the electronics do set it apart. Anyway, it surely ain't no P-bass, and you could do better if your quest is to get a P-bass tone without actually owning a P-bass. Dunno why you wouldn't just get a P-bass, if that's what you're after. I'd recommend the American P-bass Deluxe 5. While I love my RB5, the active electronics of the P Deluxe gets you a much broader range of tones, among them a bona-fide P-bass. It also can approximate a J-bass tone, if you need one in an emergency.
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Yeah, if John Wayne Bobbitt, Joey Buttafuoco and Tonya Harding sprung Charles Manson out of jail, went to your gig and (God forbid) put a gun to your head threatening to pull the trigger if you don't get a Jazz bass tone out of your bass, you'll be glad you can approximate a Jazz sound with RB5!

Now that'ssarcasm.:D
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Big Wheel, you're the winner on that one. Seriously, that is almost EXACTLY the thought I was trying to elicit with my "emergency" comment. You know ... "Son of a Siberian sea snake! These people are SERIOUS! I'd best whip up a J-bass tone, PRONTO! DANG! All I've got is this P-bass. Good thing it's a American P Deluxe 5."
  7. Hey, it can happen. After 20 or so years of playing P and P/J BB series Yamas, I finally had to have a J sound on a song.
    Hmmmm, lets see here....turn this back knob (which is somewhat frozen in 1/2 position) alllll the way up and turn that front knob down....holy bob, that's a nasty sound! Where's my THUMP?
  8. The 2002 model with the 4+1 headstock is interesting to me for a 5-string P. I don't care for the earlier P5 models, so I bought a MIM P in the interim.

I'd still need some hands-on time with the P5 to make sure it fit the bill. The RB5 does spoil you with its quality and playability.
  9. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    My RB5 is my primary gigging bass and I love it. When I want dead on classic Jazz Bass tones.. it's there. When I want a fatter humbucker tone's there.But to me a fatter humbucker tone,while perhaps P-like, is NOT classic Precision.When I want classic Precision, and frequently I do, I take my '57 Re-Issue P.
  10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Yeah, the '57 RI is a sweet, sweet bass! I traded mine straight up for a second RB5 once I became hooked on Vitamin B (BEADG five string, I mean. :)).

Can I just say that a 5-string '57 RI would be the perfect 5 for me? Yeah yeah yeah, I realize it would no longer be an RI, but the point is that I would loooooove a passive single-pup Fender Precision 5.
  11. Me too... but I still cringe when thinking about modding mine. It coulc be done by fabricating a new pick guard to cover the change of neck pickup routing. I'd leave the bridge pickup in place and use a J-Retro active preamp to electrically isolate each pickup from the other. I've been giving this idea a whole lot of thought.