1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does the Sadowsky Preamp/DI have enough juice to drive a power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lorenzini, May 21, 2011.

1. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm looking into this possibility but need to know if I need another pre before the amp.

Thanks!

2. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I don't think it does; I asked this question a long time ago and, unless it's been beefed up lately, I was told that it probably would'nt have enough output. You can always try it, though.

3. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    It would depend on the sensitivity of the power amp but I too think it does not have enough umph on its' own

4. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Darn. Okay.

Any recommendations for a cheap, flat pre that I could put between the Sadowsky and the amp?

Thanks.

5. I've been wondering this myself, but in a more general way...so just to confirm, an active bass directly into a power amp will NOT work?

6. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    There are isolated reports of success in this endeavour, but in general, no.

7. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    There are any number of mic/instrument level preamps that could do the job; the ART Tube pre is a popular example, and there are doubtless even cheaper options given that you may not want any sort of additional tone control.

In my view, it's unforgivable that Sadowsky does not publish useful output ratings. Aguilar managed it with the Tone Hammer (which has plenty of "umph" to drive any power amp, by the way, if you're looking for an alternative).

8. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Agreed.

Might just go with the Tone Hammer if it drives an amp, and I'd rather not put a cheap piece of equipment, such as the ART Tube pre, in front of the Sadowsky, as the goal is to sweeten the tone and not anything else.

9. JazzbassArt

JazzbassArt

Dec 12, 2004
    Andover, MN
    A Fender American Deluxe Jazz won't fully drive a PLX 1602. It works, sounds very good, just not very loud. I'm skeptical of the Presonus gear. I received new, defective, both a Tube preamp, and a Tube microphone channel preamp. I couldn't trust them now. I also tried a used Boosta Grande. Granted, it was used. It was noisy, and had to be cranked to get enough gain. I guess I too, am interested in a rack mount pre, that is of higher quality. Right now, I'm still on a PB-1, with a WTDI on order.

10. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Looks like it's an Aguilar Tone Hammer for me.

11. I am a big supporter of the Tone Hammer these days. It really does outperform its price tag IMO. For me it has the perfect set of features. It can be tweaked till the cows come home or it can be set flat and not add a lot of color. It excels either way.

12. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    I'll definitely do this if I'm going on a pre-amp route.. Sadowsky on board pre for my bass and tone hammer for my power amp! :)

13. FWIW the Sadowsky on board would be redundant if you were to use the Tone Hammer.

14. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    For sure. I'm already using all-Aguilar gear, and this option is for rehearsals, so I'll be able to keep roughly the same tone.

Aguilar is making amazing products.