Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does the Sterling/Stingray 5 have a voltage divider?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Feb 28, 2006.

1. I can't think of how else it would do series/parallel without a big volume change.

I had a 4-pole/2-way miniswitch installed on my FBB a while back so that I could switch each pickup from series to parallel simultaneously, but it's hard to hear a significant tonal difference due to the voltage change between the two settings. I was thinking of just having a basic voltage divider soldered into each of the series outputs on the miniswitch, but I'm not sure if that would do the trick.

2. A series/parallel switch doesn't have separate series and parallel outputs, but it can be done: there's always a wire that bridges two of the lugs of the switch. That's the connection that puts the two coils in series. You can replace that wire with a resistor (it doesn't make any difference that the resistor is between the two coils or at the output, the three elements are in series and the order is irrelevant) and that will achieve what you want, since the resistor will form a voltage divider with the blend/vol/tone pots and/or active pre input. You may temporarily wire a pot, adjust to taste, then measure the resistance and replace with a fixed resistor of the same value. Or you could just try different resistor values.

To get half the voltage in series mode, which would bring it close to the parallel mode output, you would need a resistor of the same value as the parallel of all the pots each pu is connected to (which normally is all the pots, even in a vol/vol/tone config.) plus the pre input impedance (active bass) or the amp input impeadance (passive bass). For example, if you have a 500k blend pot and then an active pre, that would be 500k || 500k || 1M = 200k (a 500k blend pot is actually two 500k pots in parallel, and you can assume 1M input impedance as a standard value for most active pre's and amplifiers). In a passive vol/vol/tone config. with 250k pots, that would be 250k || 250k || 250k = 83k. Resistors are cheap so do the numbers and then get a few with different values around the one you have calculated, give them a try and see which one you like best.

3. My understanding is that the preamp on the Sterling/Stingray 5 has a boost to compensate for the different output levels of the series/parallel/single coil settings--no voltage divider!

Mike

4. Thanks, Clorenzo. I've got a 500k blend and what I believe is a 500k volume before the pre, so I'm guessing then that I'd need 167k for each.

Zimm: they do wacky things up in SLO. Magic mushrooms grow natively on the Central Coast, you know. :smug: