does the way you string your bass...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, May 17, 2005.

1. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    effect the strings?>

like, the differences between body thru and bridge thru. i notice that the string bends in a different place when you do it each way. will this effect the string in any way?
  2. I think its more to do with how much contact the bass has with the body that makes the difference
  3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    It can. A high break angle at the bridge can be bad for some strings, especially flats. I want to try some flats on a bass with a 2Tek bridge and I'm a bit worried about it.

Most important thing though is just to make sure you don't twist the core when you string up, that can cause problems.
  4. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Spot on, you posted exactly what I was going to!

I had a set of Labella 760 FMs where the E broke before it was up to tension due to the extreme break angle when strung through the body. Also I have always had problems with strings twisting going through body. Through bridge fixed all that.

If you have a MIA fender with through body stringing only I suggest getting the deluxe bridge replacement which has both options. Its the only direct replacement I could find. The new MIA basses have the deluxe bridge already.
  5. My bad, i thought he was just meaning tonally
  6. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    i havent been able to check side by side but i havent noticed any tonal difference with one stringing method or the other.
  7. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I bought the extra long Labella nylons and strung them through the body so I have none of the tapered string hanging out of the bridge. Sounds better to me since I have another bass with the normal length strings and the tapered part of the string seems to create those nasty off pitch overtones. I haven't experimented enough to be sure yet, but seems to me tapered strings sound bad if the smaller part hangs out of the bridge.