Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does the year a bass is made really matter?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by modest_mouse, Aug 5, 2005.

1. modest_mouse

modest_mouse

Jun 27, 2005
    I just ordered aslightly used Fender P-Bass Standard that just so happened to be made in 2002.
    What I am wondering is: Is there a big difference in quality just because its a slightly older model?
    Did Fender use different electronics and such a few yaers ago as opposed to now?

Thank you all for your time.

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I guess you are reffering to a MIM p-bass. It was around that time they switched to alder bodies from the poplar they were using, That should be the only difference.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Which is actually a good thing.

4. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    modest mouse is the coolest band out there.
    Highjacking apart, the alder is somehow nicer to my ears than poplar (just talking about names), but in the end they aint gonna have that big difference.

5. As with cars, sometimes a model changes for a certain year. In around 1973, or so they changed the location of the bridge pickup of the Jazz Bass. In 1968/9 the finish changed from nitro to poly. There've been several other minor changes from year to year- whether it's knobs, electronics, or who owned the company...