1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does the zvex Mastotron on bass give you the same great fuzz as the woolly mammoth?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Libby64, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Libby64

Libby64

Dec 19, 2008
    Washington State
    does anyone have experience w/ using a zvex Mastotron w/their bass (active or passive) is it the solution/alternative too the problem that the zvex woolly mammoth has with active basses?
    same tone as the mammoth w/a passive bass?:meh:

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I've owned a Mammoth and a clone, but I've never tried a Mastrotron. But from the clip or two I've heard and the description of the circuit, I'd say that they are very different sounding boxes.

3. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    Somebody on here got a Mastrotron and said it was not at all like the Mammoth. Search out the thread and read it. It will tell you all about it.

4. Proton Lenny

Proton Lenny Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Portland Oregon
    I've never tried a Mammoth, but I only play active basses. The Mastotron is a killer fuzz, and can go anywhere from a thick fuzz to a crazy synth like squarewave. You can set the impedence to wherever you need/want it to be. It is not gated, but with the wave form set to its shortest setting, it might as well be.

Proton

5. Libby64

Libby64

Dec 19, 2008
    Washington State
    thank you guys!

I play a musicman (active bass of course)
    what pedal can give me that woolly mammoth tone?

6. Libby64

Libby64

Dec 19, 2008
    Washington State
    what was the clone that you used?

7. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    It was a DIY build that I picked up in the classifieds. It will be listed for sale again soon as I really never had any intention of keeping it and just wanted to try a Mammoth again with some of my new gear.

8. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I'm looking to try a Mammoth-esque (at least gated fuzz) that works well with active.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i just got this pedal, and HOLY CRAP, it is easily my most fav fuzz for guitar as of right now. the options are terrific, and cmon, it wont cost an arm and a leg.

admittedly, havent tried it on bass, but on paper (subs switch, impedence knob for my active basses, and a waveform knob) seems like it'd be perfect.

keep in mind that the woolly mam isnt one of zach's designs. still, i'll report back in a bit.

10. Libby64

Libby64

Dec 19, 2008
    Washington State

NIce so you got the mastotron? I'm still fuzz searching but will decied on something soon..hopefuly i get a chance to try pedals out. I live hrs away from a decent music store..grr

11. perk45

perk45

Feb 2, 2008
    austin, tx
    +1

I got this pedal in a trade yesterday and I've been thrilled. I have a Vexter Fuzz Factory, so I had no bass fuzz for awhile, but this cured fuzz is a perfect compliment for the FF. I can use it alone for a nice, deep bass tone with some more subtle fuzz around the edges (or just crank the fuzz and take out some of the subs) or I can use it with the FF for a nasty, grimy but still bassy tone. I'm very excited. It works great with my guitar too. I'll try and get samples recorded soon, but it might take me a little while.

12. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    so the mastotron is a hit for bass?

anyone got clips?

13. perk45

perk45

Feb 2, 2008
    austin, tx
  14. bovine mind

bovine mind

Jun 17, 2008
    San Francisco
    how nasty does this pedal get? the sound samples from the other thread don't seem that intense. the pro guitar shop youtube review left me thinking the pedal could get really high gain. let's hear some clips with the fuzz maxed!

15. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
    The 3 and 2 positions on the sub switch with the fuzz knob dialed up should give you a deeper and more aggressive fuzz. As I said and was echoed in the thread referenced a couple of posts above, it is not a cheap WM clone. I haven't used a WM but based on my experience with the Mastotron and listening to the many samples of the WM the Mastotron is not as intense or wild (or wooly? ;) ).

However, I was looking for and like the more subdued effect and flexibility of the Matotron. I had an MXR EL Grande fuzz which was GRANDE! And, I didn't really care for it.

I like this fuzz and IME it is a keeper. If you like the WM you will probably be disappointed with this fuzz.

16. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL

The "Relax/Push" knob allows you to adjust the source impedance so, in theory, this pedal should work with an active bass. I don't own an active bass so I can't confirm.

The PW adjustment (pulse width) when set to narrow 3:00 - 5:00) will give you a slight gated effect, but, it is not a gated pedal.

I like the fuzz effect created by this pedal and love the flexibility. Don't know if it will be Mammoth-esque enough for you. After all, it is a mastodon, not a woolly mammoth :D.

17. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    i like mastodons more :D

18. LuvMusic

LuvMusic

Aug 18, 2007
    Oak Park, IL
  19. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    this seems like just the perfect guitar dirt i need

20. Proton Lenny

Proton Lenny Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Portland Oregon
    As LuvMusic has stated, I use this with my active Ritter, and I like it more and more each day. I have tried it with a passive P-Bass, and an active guitar (Parker Fly). That impedance knob is a God send. You can set it however you like it. If you are using an active bass and want a more "uncontrolled" fuzz, you can just adjust the Push/Pull knob to you liking. As far as how well it works for bass, if this thing doesn't get enough bottom for you, I'd be surprised. The sub switch on 3 has a TON of low end underneath the fuzz. And since the tone knob only affects the high frequencies the bottom is left nice and fat. You can get a ton of different sounds out of this pedal. I personally love the wave length short, the tone up, and the fuzz maxed. Synthy, electronic, weirdo goodness. It is built like a tank as well. For $150 bucks how can you pass it up? ;)

Proton