1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does this annoy anyone else?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Corbeau, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    I've been trying to book gigs for my band, and I approached a booker who said that there was a slot on the 18th if we were interested. I said yes and asked them to give me the location of gig, how long we had for setting up, etc. That was three days ago and I've heard nothing since from the booker.

Does anyone else get annoyed when they are left waiting for a booker to respond?

2. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep, just happened to me. The guy pretty much gave us carte blanche to pick which night in September we wanted to play. I did so and politely asked how the venue handled pay... and dead silence.

My third email over the course of a week of silence, he finally replied, "oops, thought I'd already given you that information..." So it turned out fine, but was aggravating during the wait.

The irony is that the owner of the place happens to be my cousin's sister-in-law. We pursued booking without pulling the family connection, but it would have been interesting to see if we had had to.

3. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I just keep on calling and calling. People tell me that's a bad idea, and yet, I find I tie up loose ends that way.

4. Winfred

Winfred

Oct 21, 2011
    Par for the course in the music business.

5. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    ^that.

Sales is all about asking for the sale, which includes following up with contacts, even if they're supposed to be getting back with you.

If you want the sale, you do the legwork. That is, if you want the sale.

Oh, and yeah, booking IS sales... :D

6. wong99

wong99

Jun 6, 2012
    This is the best advice.
    Pretend you are selling something... OH WAIT, you are! You are selling your band. First rule of successful salespeople, follow up.
    It's up to you, the salesperson, not him, the buyer.
    Shift your perspective and you will secure a lot more gigs. And the "bookers" will think of you as a pro and appreciate your dedication.

7. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    When I used to book, I asked for the name of the club, the date, how many nights, the time, and rate of pay. If you don't get that up front from your agent, keep an eye on him, most of the agents I met were busy enough that you quickly moved to the bottom of the paperwork. Stay on top of him/her. Also, don't commit until you get the specifics and tell him you have to discuss the specifics with the band before you accept. If you keep getting the runaround start looking for another agent.