Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does this bass exist?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Niskamies, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    So, is there a bass like this in production?

-24 frets, or more
    -neck-through
    -ebony board, no marks or anything on it, totally clean
    -active preamp
    -2 soapbars
    -piezo bridge
    -possibly matching headstock
    -modern and crispy sound

So far I came up with a Yamaha John Patitucci, but it isn't neck-through and the ebony board is not clean.

Btw, if you were to get a custom bass like this, what wood would you use for the neck and body, if you where looking for a bright, crisp and growly modern tone?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've come up to Carvin basses, except for the Soapbar part.

3. How 'bout Carvins? You can order them with all those options, if you're willing to count MM-style pickups as "soapbars".

The Alembic Essence also fits the bill, if you forego the piezo.

The old Yamaha TRBs also qualify, except for the blank board.

Mike

4. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Thanks, gotta check out the carvins. The soapbars are not essential, jazz/musicman pickups are also valid.

5. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    I forgot one criteria, the bass should be a six stringer.

6. http://www.carvin.com/products/guitar.php?ItemNumber=LB76
    toher then the lack of soapbars i think this can fit the bill, I would say get the humbuckers, you could always get a replacement saopbar pickups i would assume. I own one, they are very good basses, make sure you buy tapered strings, they come with the bass as default and after replacing them with non-tapered strings, I must say they sound much better.

-edit-fixed tempered->tapered

7. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    I checked out that carvin. It would cost about 1400 with my options, and about 1600 euros shipped to Finland. Looks like a beauty. I have a fetish for a bass that has a red flamed maple top:)

8. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Dont forget about VAT taxes.

9. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Tempered strings, eh? Please define?

10. my mistake i ment tapered strings, I wasn't sure what the name for them was either when they came on my carvin

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=176573

this should clear it up, sorry

11. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Get a Ken Smith, have a piezo installed, deal with the fretboard.

12. Pretty much any custom builder would do it. Not production really... but you could probably find one at a reasonable price.

13. Sounds like you need a used F-bass bn6 my man, and there happens to be one up for sale right now! :ninja:

14. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    You might check out the TRB6P six string from Yamaha. I own one of these things and love it. It's a neck thru, active, bass, with an ebony board, and super modern tones.

It sounds like it'd fit you well....minus the fact that it does have fret markers :D

Oh, and the TRB6P smokes the Patitucci...IMO :)

15. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Warwicka dn Spector come close, but don't either the matching headstock or ebony baord, depending on model.

16. ShamrayBass

ShamrayBass The Bass Custom Shop

Dec 29, 2004
    Moscow. RUSSIA
    wenge neck-thru, heavy mahogany body with an ebony board makes for a pretty modern sound. Personally, i like the sound of maple & purpleheart through a lightweight mahogany body, but its a bit "retro" for some people.

I played a STUNNING :eek: lively, bright and in-your-face bass the other day, it had a mountain ash (extremely hard ash) neck!

17. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Everything but the piezos and blank board you can get exactly from a Pedulla Thunderbass , and even then you might be able to work with them on the dots and bridge. They're a small shop and might be able to do a one-off.

Pricewise, however, the Carvin is a good "budget" choice (for all the requirements you desire, "budget" is very much a relative term. ;) ) But I think the Pedulla is very much what you're looking for tonally, and beyond that you might have to go completely custom.

18. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
  19. you can get a warwick Streamer Stage I, with an ebony board, matching headstock and piezo bridge.

If you got $$$ to burn.