Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does this bass exist?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SilverTurtle, Dec 10, 2005.

1. I'd like to get myself a 5-string in the next few months, but keep changing my mind on what to get.

I think what I'd *really* like is a Fender/Fender-style jazz bass body with a P-style pup. I prefer the jazz-style necks. And playing an Ibanez SR400, I'm used to the small neck and relatively light body. But I love that P-bass punch.

I don't want to build my own (and doubt I could if I tried), and can't afford a custom bass right now. Are there any production models like this?

Oh, and not sure of a price range... the idea is to start saving now. I'd like to keep it around or under $600 if possible.

Thanks!

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
  3. fender doesnt really make 5 string p basses for some reason, but there are exceptions. you can go with the american deluxe, as stated, but thats a double jazz pup in the bridge, not a jazz. You do have two more options as well...Fender Zone bass and Dimension bass both carry the P style pup in the neck with a standard jazz pup in the bridge both in five string. Never played them, but they look like sweet basses.

4. si_fi

si_fi

May 4, 2005
    London, England
    sounds like a "fender reggie hamilton jazz bass V" to me......i've only seen one once.....sounded and played very nicely...check out the fender website; they dont have pictures of the "V" but they have pics of the 4, which has the same finish options...unfortunately they're hard to come by, and i'd imagine rather expensive, but that seems to match exactly what you're looking for.....good luck with the search.

5. Try this... - I've got one and its pretty nice (I'm not really a 5-string guy)

6. addylewis...

thanks, but i really prefer the precision pup over the jazz . In which case the deluxe P-Bass is the closest match so far. I like the jazz bass body and neck as far as the balance and such go - that's what's comfy for me. (I have been considering the SX 5-string jazz, since I probably will want a jazz at some point, too.)

7. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Connecticut
    ^ that's missing the whole, "5th string" aspect of it. (EDIT: oh, figures. I point something out, it gets deleted because he noticed it before I posted. BAH!)

But uh, don't P-basses have trouble picking up notes beyond E? Isn't that why they don't make a 5er P? or is that just something I made up... lol

8. si_fi

si_fi

May 4, 2005
    London, England
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

there's the 4 string Reggie Hamilton fender Jazz Bass and the custom artist version (with block inlays)
    and here is the page for the custom artist 5 string version
    and here's a pic of it that i found on google.
    [​IMG]

hope this helps, still unsure of it's cost, but, as it's a custom artist model i imagine it won't be cheap.........they sure look nice though.

Si

9. fender makes the mark hoppus.
    its only 4 string but its a jazz body with a p pickup....
    if i can find one in oly white, i might have to get it...