Does this bass nail the P-tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ívar Þórólfsson, Jun 21, 2003.

1. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Hi all!

I would not be at all surprised if this topic has done here before :eek:

I own a MIA Fender Jazz bass V which I absolutely love!

I have also fallen in love with the extreme punch of the p-bass, I can get somewhat p sound with my neck pickup solo-ed but not quite there.

I like Fenders and keep in mind that there isn´t much variety of basses here in Iceland.

That brings me to my question:
    I have been wondering alot about the American Deluxe Precision Bass V. Does that bass nail the P-sound with the p-pickup soloed? Wouldn´t a maple neck help with the punch?

The reasons I´m asking about this bass are the following:
    1. I like Fender!
    2. I need a five stringer, many of my bands songs require one.
    3. Not much variety here in Iceland.

So, what´s the verdict?

2. I have played one of those basses and really liked it a lot. it is definetly a P bass. with the P pickups soloed and eq flat it does pretty much nail that P bass thump. with the preamp and added dual J pup back there it also has a good variety of tones. it is not my 1978 P, but it does have a good modern P bass tone and much more. I think that would be a real nice basss. I might recomend a few other thingsto try, but like you said where you live there is not a wide variety of basses redily available.
  3. Looks like a P-bass on steroids:cool:

I dig the look.

4. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    i have the japan version of that bass,i exclusively use the P pick-ups only.combined with the J,it lacks the thunder i have came to love.i have a 3 way selector switch that i just flip up,AND ITS ALL P" BABY:D
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I agree with Supernaut: with the P pickup soloed, it has the P-bass sound.
  6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    The more I play mine, the more I like it.
    Mine is a 02 model with the 18v electronics.
    I dont care for the 4+1 headstock, and Im not sure why Fender did that. If they did that to recuce deadspots, it didnt work. The 7th fret on the G string is worse than dead.

7. Hey, I like the 4+1 headstock thingy, more than 4 on one side just looks kinda funny to me
  8. yeah...

I like the music man's 3+1

or the 2+2

My .02:oops:
  9. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Thanks for the comments guys!

Now I have to figure out a way to try one out :)
    Haven´t seen one in stores here in Iceland :(
  10. Fuzzbass

That, and 5 tuners on one side are cramped (not very user-friendly).
  11. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Exactly, I have an Ibanez SR400 (2+2), Stingray (3+1) and a BC Rich Warlock (2+2) on the way. Honestly, I don't even like four on one side.
  12. DW

Jun 22, 2000
    IMO it does not. No 5-string will ever sound like a P for the simple reason that the E on a fiver doesn't sound like the E on a 4. No bass with an active preamp will ever sound like a P. And the A string polepieces are not positioned as on a P.

A reasonable facsimile? Probably. Nail the P-tone? Nope.
  13. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    GA DAMN! I want one of those!

One thing that confuses me though. Why wouldnt Fender stick with the same pup configuration for the P pup? What I mean is the A strings coil is moved back further now, wouldnt it have been wiser to keep the pup same but just add the B strings coils onto the top part of the P pup?

I hope that made sence...
  14. Fuzzbass

That's a good question, oldskool. My Lull P5 has the pup configured the same way, and I swear I can tell the difference when I play the A string. Well, I try to be as objective as I can, and I *think* I can tell.

The advantage to the Lull is that the coils are symmetrical, so I can flip 'em to get the config I want. I'll do that one of these days.

15. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Do any other 5 string Ps have that option?