1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does this bass nail the P-tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ívar Þórólfsson, Jun 21, 2003.

1. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Hi all!

I would not be at all surprised if this topic has done here before :eek:

I own a MIA Fender Jazz bass V which I absolutely love!

I have also fallen in love with the extreme punch of the p-bass, I can get somewhat p sound with my neck pickup solo-ed but not quite there.

I like Fenders and keep in mind that there isn´t much variety of basses here in Iceland.

That brings me to my question:
    I have been wondering alot about the American Deluxe Precision Bass V. Does that bass nail the P-sound with the p-pickup soloed? Wouldn´t a maple neck help with the punch?

The reasons I´m asking about this bass are the following:
    1. I like Fender!
    2. I need a five stringer, many of my bands songs require one.
    3. Not much variety here in Iceland.

So, what´s the verdict?

[​IMG]

2. I have played one of those basses and really liked it a lot. it is definetly a P bass. with the P pickups soloed and eq flat it does pretty much nail that P bass thump. with the preamp and added dual J pup back there it also has a good variety of tones. it is not my 1978 P, but it does have a good modern P bass tone and much more. I think that would be a real nice basss. I might recomend a few other thingsto try, but like you said where you live there is not a wide variety of basses redily available.

3. Looks like a P-bass on steroids:cool:

I dig the look.

:oops:

4. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i have the japan version of that bass,i exclusively use the P pick-ups only.combined with the J,it lacks the thunder i have came to love.i have a 3 way selector switch that i just flip up,AND ITS ALL P" BABY:D

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I agree with Supernaut: with the P pickup soloed, it has the P-bass sound.

6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    The more I play mine, the more I like it.
    Mine is a 02 model with the 18v electronics.
    I dont care for the 4+1 headstock, and Im not sure why Fender did that. If they did that to recuce deadspots, it didnt work. The 7th fret on the G string is worse than dead.

[​IMG]

7. Hey, I like the 4+1 headstock thingy, more than 4 on one side just looks kinda funny to me

8. yeah...

I like the music man's 3+1

or the 2+2

My .02:oops:

9. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Thanks for the comments guys!

Now I have to figure out a way to try one out :)
    Haven´t seen one in stores here in Iceland :(

10. Fuzzbass

That, and 5 tuners on one side are cramped (not very user-friendly).

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Exactly, I have an Ibanez SR400 (2+2), Stingray (3+1) and a BC Rich Warlock (2+2) on the way. Honestly, I don't even like four on one side.

12. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    IMO it does not. No 5-string will ever sound like a P for the simple reason that the E on a fiver doesn't sound like the E on a 4. No bass with an active preamp will ever sound like a P. And the A string polepieces are not positioned as on a P.

A reasonable facsimile? Probably. Nail the P-tone? Nope.

13. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    GA DAMN! I want one of those!

One thing that confuses me though. Why wouldnt Fender stick with the same pup configuration for the P pup? What I mean is the A strings coil is moved back further now, wouldnt it have been wiser to keep the pup same but just add the B strings coils onto the top part of the P pup?

I hope that made sence...

14. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    bump

15. Fuzzbass

That's a good question, oldskool. My Lull P5 has the pup configured the same way, and I swear I can tell the difference when I play the A string. Well, I try to be as objective as I can, and I *think* I can tell.

The advantage to the Lull is that the coils are symmetrical, so I can flip 'em to get the config I want. I'll do that one of these days.

[​IMG]

16. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Do any other 5 string Ps have that option?