1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does this bass sound like a bargain??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jamesemt, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Jamesemt

Jamesemt

Jan 6, 2006
    Hull, UK
    Just seen this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FENDER-MIGHTY...3QQihZ017QQcategoryZ33039QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Am I OK linking to ebay?

Am I missing something? Seems pretty cheap for us in the UK. For all you US residents, think of the bass as $100 (I know it works out at $200, but as everything is so much more expensive, $200 would only just buy a very budget bass in the UK - squires are around $300).

So my question is would this be worth $100 to you in the US, and is there much missing from assembling it? I've built a strat before, so it's not completely alien.

Any advice?

2. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    The opening bid is 99 pounds, not the price. That will probably double or triple before the auction ends.

That would be worth $100 to me, yes. But for $300 or $400, I'd rather get another used MTD Artist (I *love* mine).

- Dave

3. As you probably have realised,this is only a starting price.The item still has 6 days to run.But as you say,it's a pretty good deal at the minute,but I feel sure it'll go for a lot more than £99.

4. Jamesemt

Jamesemt

Jan 6, 2006
    Hull, UK
    To be honest, I think I've got it mixed up with another Jazz that has 7 hours left :p :bag:

5. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

The opening bid of 99.90 pounds works out to about $204.78. I'd say that's a bit high for a "nearly complete" MIM Jazz. Considering the price will probably only go higher once bidding starts, I'd look elsewhere.

6. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    As I count it up, the parts are worth:

MIM J body (price and value depends on whether alder or poplar) - Probably $90
    Mighty Mite neck - Available for $79
    MM Pickups - $60 retail for pair, probably $40 with discount
    Bridge - Wilkies go $29 on the 'bay here
    Pu cover - $9 at Musicians Friend
    Scratch plate - $18 at Mighty Mite
    Controls - $15 for parts - $35 wired.

About $300 US for the parts alone. Sort of like spending $100K to build a $20K VW from replacement parts.

7. Jamesemt

Jamesemt

Jan 6, 2006
    Hull, UK
    I think some of the parts will work out more than that - I once paid £30 ($60) for a standard scratch plate...

8. If ti jumps too high, try an SX from Rondomusic.net.

9. I suggest you go to another shop :smug:

10. don't forget we pay far more in the UK for gear

11. Jamesemt

Jamesemt

Jan 6, 2006
    Hull, UK
    Kurt won't ship to the UK anymore - but he will ship to Canada :eyebrow: Don't quite know what good that is when I live in the UK...