Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does this bass style sound ok?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Candiria, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Walnut Body
    mahogany core
    maple/walnut/maple/walnut/maple neck
    ebony fretboard
    bartolini p style pickup
    bartolini mm style pickup

ill probably decide to go without the preamp and just stick to passive...any opinions?

2. Candiria, I'm not an expert on the tone of different woods, but, from what I've learned here at TB, and at www.warmoth.com walnut and mahogany are both on the dark sounding side. Is this the sound you're looking for? You really can't tell the sound of any bass until all the components are together, but, this talk about a wood's tone is the starting point.

BTW, when you wrote: Walnut body
    mahogany core, did you mean that it's a mahogany body with a walnut top?

Mike J.

3. mahogany in the center with walnut ont he front and back

4. can u put that combination of pups?

Not sure but i think I read here somewhere that they would overlap.

5. You either get an accurate P tone, or an accurate MM tone. You can't have both. However, the sound of those two pups is pretty killer.

I don't know about woods, but the pickup combination sounds pretty good to me.

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    If you move the MM slightly towards the bridge, you're fine.

7. Was meaning to ask this when i read about the pickup placement in the other thread .
    What determins the proper place to position a pickup? And is "Proper" different for different Pickups or for different sound?

8. what do you mean theyd overlap? i cant have these pickups together?

9. That’s what I'd like to know. The impression I get is that the "Proper" position for each pup would physically overlap, i.e. one would have to sit on top of the other slightly. But from this thread it seems that you could just move the MM towards the bridge.

10. It seems to me that it would sound really dark and bassy with the P and MIM pups. Then you have 2 bassy woods too. I imagin it going "FUMP!".
    I've been trying to make sound effects for bass on like every thread today:p .

11. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Would you consider other pickup configurations? If you would really like to have the P-pup, maybe a J-pup would be a nice idea at the bridge. Bart makes some fine sounding soapbars too.

The other thing is that MM pickups seem to sound best around a certain spot on the body. Moving it too far towards the bridge might dilute the tone such that it could sound quite thin.

The wood selection sounds fine if that's what you would like.

12. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    what about two bart quad coils near the bridge?

then you'd be able to get kind of an MM tone, a P tone, a J tone, PJ, dual soapbars....

jason

13. MM not MIM

MM= Music Man.

MIM= Made In Mexico

Everybody knows that! Well Ok I didn’t, until I looked it up a couple of weeks ago hehe.
    :D

14. Sounds heavey to me, cause I know from testing out basses with different bodys that mahogony is extremely heavey wood.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

MM pickups aren't dark and bassy. The Stingray is one of the brightest popular basses that there is.

16. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    stingrays sound the way they do not just because of the pickup, but the preamp as well. ive run bart mm pickups passive and they're nowhere near as bright as a musicman. no sizzle.

17. hmm i had a bass that was all mahogany ands thought it was a LOT lighter than my spector.

18. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    The mahogany basses I've played were all light as feathers.

19. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I meant to add. If you definitely want the P-pup, they go well with J-pups at the bridge. If you are more attached to the MM pup, a J-pup at the neck is a popular configuration as well.

The P-pup with the MM though, it's a relative unknown as to how it will turn out. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't recall coming across that sort of setup before. Has anyone else ever played a bass with this configuration? how did it sound?

20. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Perfectly OK.
    Pretty nice, even. Will look awesome! And, properly manufactured, sound great, too.
    You will, as pointed out, have to consider placing the pups in different places from the P or MM originals, but that's fine. Just make up your mind if you want to push the MM back or the P up or both a little apart.
    And consider coil splitting the MM!

(Though I would rather use two HBs, both splittable - but that's me)