Does this cab and head work together?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Coffeestout, Oct 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Coffeestout

Coffeestout

Oct 7, 2017
    Eagan, MN
    Hello fellow bassists!

This is my first post! I am in the market for a new head and I am curious if the
    Bugera Veyron Tube BV1001T will work with my
    Ampeg SVT810E cab? I know a lot more about bass guitars than I do amps so I was looking for some help from the rest of you stellar human beings.

Thanks you for your time everyone!

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are.

2k watts will easily power 3 or 4 SVY810E cabs.

Playing large venues with no PA support?

3. Coffeestout

Coffeestout

Oct 7, 2017
    Eagan, MN
    We have been playing small/medium sized venues for the most part. I was using a Ampeg SVT450H 450W but honestly, it doesn't sound that great IMO. Looking to move onto something else that pairs well with that cab.

4. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    What is it about the SVT450H that doesn't sound good to you?

5. Coffeestout

Coffeestout

Oct 7, 2017
    Eagan, MN
    I think it sounds good but not great. I'm not sure how to describe it but I feel like it's just a little empty, even with the EQ. Maybe I just need to dial in the sounds better. I also just really like the way that Bugera sounds.

6. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    So, you've tried the Bugera with your cab and like it?

7. Coffeestout

Coffeestout

Oct 7, 2017
    Eagan, MN
    I didn't try it with my amp, another amp at the local shop, that's why I was curious about matching up cabs and what not. I'm a noob when it comes to amps.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

That amp is 2000 watts the same way Donald Trump is my mama.

An SVT450 will destroy that Behringer 8 days week.

9. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    The Bugera head will work just fine with the Ampeg 810e. As to the head actually putting out 2000 watts, the jury is out on that one. The power rating might be a TAD inflated. I am sure you can find something better on craigslist, Behringer is not a super reliable brand. I have had lousy experiences with their equipment and would recommend seeing what other choices you have in addition to getting something used.

The SVT 450h is not a great head either and I hated it's younger brother, the B2R (350 watts at 4 ohms). Nothing warm sounding about that head, had decent string grind, but I could not do much with it.

$500 new for that Bugera head you like - are you looking at buying it new? $500 can get you something a heck of a lot nicer....

Aqualung60 and Element Zero like this.
  10. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    If you get a chance, try a Aguilar D500, Mesa D800+, ampeg PF-800, Genzler or any number of really great amps out there with your cab. I think you like what you hear. I have no experience with the Bugera amp and I've had good luck with Behringer (Bugera) equipment. I have one of their 4 channel mixers that sounds fine and has been indestructible. I also have one of their BDDI pedals that sounds exactly like a $200.00 SansAmp and it only cost $29.00. However, if you are going to the trouble of schlepping around an Ampeg 8x10 cab you might as well get a head that does it justice. The best choice will always be an all tube SVT. But, a good used one is not cheap and a new one is over $2K. But, if you can swing it, that sound is to die for.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  11. Coffeestout

Coffeestout

Oct 7, 2017
    Eagan, MN
    Yeah, I would buy that new. What heads would you suggest? This is the band I've been filling in for and the type of sound they have: ( Sleep Signals )

12. Coffeestout

Coffeestout

Oct 7, 2017
    Eagan, MN
    I have played the Mesa D800+ and it sounded really good, definitely like that one. I'm just trying to weight cost I guess... hmm It's not much more.

13. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    Like I wrote, if you are going to the go to the trouble of schlepping an SVT 8x10 around, get a head that does it justice.

tchristian likes this.
  14. Sartori

Sartori Supporting Member

Get a used SVT-2Pro instead.

15. Cowboy in Latvia

Cowboy in Latvia

Mar 1, 2015
    In your place, I would consider a Carvin amp. Tone shaping possibilities are pretty plentiful and they're having a 25% off sale right now.

16. If I was US based and could buy a Mesa D800+ for $800 that would be my choice. ($1400 in the UK is too much). The Bugera Veyron heads are pretty good according to those that have them. I would ignore opinions from those that have no direct experience. However the Veyron Mosfet version is the one based on the Ampeg SVT pre amp, whilst the tube pre amp version is a copy of the Genz Benz Streamliner. I prefer Ampeg of the two. Whilst the advertised power of the Veyron heads is ridiculous they are more like 500 to 800 watts RMS which is plenty enough to drive your 810.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    Ampslut likes this.
  17. Mosfed

Mosfed Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Mont Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I'd get the Mesa D-800 and call it a day. Easier load in and I think it sounds better than either the Behringer or that Ampeg.

18. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Lots of un-love for that brand, for a number of reasons. Take your cab and head into the store, and A/B against as many options as possible. Warranties included

19. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    Why not buy the amp that that Bugera is a copy of? The Genz Benz Streamliner 900 is the amp they copied. You can find a used Streamliner in the TB classifieds for $500. The Genz is reliable and while GB is no longer in business, TB'er agedhorse, the designer of that amp, provides support in the event it's needed. Do a search here on TB and you'll find lot's of info on the Streamliner. Lot's of folks use it with an 810 too.

Sartori likes this.
  20. Nit-pick time: the Bugera is the amp, short for amplifier; the 810e is a cab, short for speaker cabinet. Getting the simple terminology right is the first step in learning about bass rigs, a definitely valuable skill for a bass player.

I say if you like the Bugera give it a try, I would go with the Aguilar/Mesa approach, or a used Genz Benz. Or a Quilter Bass Block. For a bit more $ the Genzler or a low-end Trickfish or a higher end Aggie or Mesa are great options.