1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does this ever happen to you..?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by topo morto, Sep 29, 2013.

1. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    1. look up demo of latest drive pedal
    2. hear first few notes of the guy playing
    3. think 'yeah, that sounds great!'
    4. guy turns pedal on
    5. you realise that the 'drive' sound you liked was his 'clean' tone

Happens to me all the time.

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Not really. There are some demos though where the "clean" sound isn't clean at all. I've seen some where there was really no audible difference in sound with pedal bypassed or engaged because the amp was already highly overdriven. And some demos where the recording is so distorted that there is also no clean sound. Kind of useless ... :)

3. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    These are often the ones I like, when they are still clean'ish'... Bass set up for a bit of clank, plus a tiny bit of grease, seems to be where I'm headed these days.

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I'm nowadays drawn towards mild breakup too, but even though my amp has tubes in the input stage it is not designed for grit at all. I don't want to replace it, it's nice in all other ways, so it's that hunt for the right overdrive pedal for me ...