Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does this exist?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jazzyb, May 23, 2004.

1. jazzyb

jazzyb

Feb 7, 2004
    norfolk england
    Is there such a thing as a 2x8 cab? or is there a good reason
    for not producing such a product.

2. AccuGroove makes something called the Tri 208, although it's not a pure 2x8.

I think Madison made a 4x8.

from the lows,

Stew

3. The acoustic guitar shredder in my band has a Roland 2X8 just for practicing alone or at low volumes. It does crank though. As far as 2X8 bass amps...I haven't seen one. :ninja:

4. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Low Down Sound does.

5. I know Ampeg made one. There was even one on sale here on TB for $150, I think. I did a search and there is a model called B328 and the one for sale was something like an SVT 28se??. I couldnt find anything on the Ampeg website though. :meh:

EDIT: The cab for sale here was an SVT 48HE and it was a 4x8.
    Also, i couldnt find the cab, but came up with this combo...

6. I think Crashdown make one too, or at least they used to. I like 8s for bass, very punchy, Ive got a Trace Elliot 4808 combo, 4x8" its good and loud.

7. jazzyb

jazzyb

Feb 7, 2004
    norfolk england
    Saw a used Trace 4x8 cab in my local store and was very tempted but I'm very tight on space in my vehicle. Casually looking for an 8ohm cab to sit under my 1x15 combo.

8. It may well be worth buying that 4x8, they didnt make many of them, my combo is one of 49 that were ever made.

9. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    I have a Raezers Edge 2 x 8 from my jazz guitar days. Clean. Warm. I play it through an Acoustic Image Clarus at home for practice sometimes. But it is not a "Bass Cab", they have a 10 and a 12 for bass.

They also have a 1 x 8.

http://www.raezers-edge.com

Tim99.

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    At Pro-Audio volumes, you'd need something to handle the lows. Pair if up with a 12 or a 15 and it would work.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have bought 2 Euphonic Audio VL208s and this is my favourite cabinet ever - best Hi-Fi sound I have ever heard from a bass cab!!

It actually produces more bass than virtually any other cab I've heard - although it doesn't have the volume for anything more than small group Jazz on its own - but it's great for this!!

I have also used it for outdoor parties - playing CDs through it and it sounds loud and fantastic!!

12. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

Personally have never seen a 2 x 8..but from the responses they are definitely made!

I have a 4 x 8 and a 1 x 15 in my rig (Ashdown).....and they are brill! :)

13. Bruce Lindfield

Having mentioned the EA VL208, I always think of it as a 2 X 8 - but in some sense it may not qualify, as it has two mid-range 5.25" speakers as well as a tweeter - so it's not just a 2 X8!!

14. Bruce Lindfield

What's a pro audio volume? :confused:

I see loads of professional Jazz bass players, who play very quietly - even unamped DB!!! ;)

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Ear bleeding levels that require that people need to yell at each other from only inches away in order to have a conversation.

I was refering to rock band with drum kit hit hard and guitar amps cranked to 11.

16. Bruce Lindfield

I object to your terminology then, sir!! ;)

Most quiet Jazz bands I've seen, are far more professional than any rock bands!!

17. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    OK so if you're old, a 2x8 might suffice (just kidding).

I just used the term "Pro Audio" to mean something used in a live band situation, something that goes louder than your average home Hi-Fi, that's all. 8's can go quite low if you sacrafice efficiency, as Hi-Fi speakers do. But they won't deliver the amount of volume I'm talking about unless they've got stellar wattage ratings.

18. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    ashdown makes a 2x8" cab, i know this because bassnw has one for sale right now

19. I never have any problems with 4x8 and a 300w SS power stage. One has to think of these things within reason. Its quite clear that a double 15 will push more air and lows than multiple 8s. Its not always about mega low crunching, driving bottom end anyway.look at the frequency response of most peoples 4x10s. Most dont even get close to the bottom E of 42Hz never mind the mega low of a bottom B - 31.5 Hz. What a lot of people dont realise is that you dont actually often hear the fundamental frequency of the strings but the harmonics that sit above, the first in the harmonic series of course being the octave. Its a question of personal preferance, IMO the days of needing a 15 or 18 to add depth to the "thin sounding 10s" has gone.

20. I use an Ampeg 4 X 8" combo (B248) and it reproduces lows very well, better than my previous rig (SVTIIIPRO and SVT410HE). The 8's have a lot of excursion. When I use it in a big room with a 15" extension speaker, it really thunders.