Does this exist?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Aug 18, 2005.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Sorry if this has been talked before, but I couldn't find it. I'd like to know if there's something like a voltage regulator or uninterrupted power supply that can be rackmountable. I mean, most tof these devices (the ones I know) are made thinking of home or office usage, but not to be carried along with an amp and cab in a convenient way. Could you please point me to some good options in case that such a thing is available? Thank you very much in advance.
  2. You mean like a power conditioner? In that case Furman makes those and they are rack mountable (multiple plugs in the back, uninterrupted,etc.). i think a couple other people make 'em too but i can't remember the names.
  3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Sorry for my ignorance, but never heard about a "power conditioner". Is it any different to the things I mentioned? I'm talking about something that protects my amp against voltage fluctuations and/or electric shocks. Thank you!
  4. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Furman makes a whole range of products just for this purpose. And most are rackmountable. Anything from regulators to full-on backup batteries for audio and sensitive electronic equipment.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  6. Furman, Gemini, Monster, and Alesis make power conditioners. If you want to spend big bucks for lots of interrupted power then go with the Monster. Furman is the most popular and I'll be getting one soon. The ones with the voltage meters run about $80. You can get a regular conditioner for like 40 bucks, but personally I think the display is cool. :D One with rack lights is helpful also.
  7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Yes. Consumer level UPS don't use racks because consumer level computers aren't rack mounted. They are available in the high end for commercial systems. But don't count on a UPS to run your amp for a whole gig. The size of the batteries required to do so would be unmanageable. As with a computer they'd only offer short term emergency power.
  8. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Just remember that with alot of the Furmans and other 'Power conditioners' people tend to get confused and think that their rig is protected, when in reality it does nothing but show you the flow of electricity and not stop a surge (not all of them, but the cheaper ones at least).
  9. Monomer

Jul 22, 2005

Furman units contain MOV's which arnt all to reliable.

Tripplite and MotionLabs are the top end, but it wont be cheap.