1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does this guy have a point or is he being stupid? (guitarist conversation)

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Fassa Albrecht, Sep 24, 2008.

1. I've been in conversation with a guitarist who I've been trying to get to join my band. I phoned him to have a chat about some stuff and the following conversation took place:

Guitarist: Look, you're pretty young, I'm not sure that you SHOULD be in a band.
    Me: Look, I've been playing in two bands for the last year. I know I can play in a band.
    G: still, two years is a fairly short period of time. I know I wasn't ready for a band after two years.

This continued for a while until the end of the call.

But seriously, does this guitarist actually have a point? Is two years really long enough to start doing original songs? Bear in mind this guy has been playing for 20 years.

Either way, I'm beginning to doubt my bassplaying even MORE than before.....

2. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Well, the period of time can vary, obviously, from person to person, so I guess it all depends on the type of band. More info? How close in seriousness/musicianship were your past two bands compared with your current one?

3. Clank

Clank

Jan 7, 2008
    Huntington Beach
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Strings
    It sounds like he doesn't want to play in your band but he doesn't have the stones to tell you. I'd move on.

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    That means nothing man. I started writing/playing original songs on the bass before I even got my bass! I had started by writing parts on an acoustic guitar until my bass actually showed up. If you have the creativity and songwriting skills it doesnt matter how long you've been playing.

I've seen some gui****s who have been playing for 10+ years who couldnt write an original song to save their life...

creativity, and thusly, music, is all subjective

though maybe mixing up someone with 2 years playing experience and someone with 20 years experience just might not be the best idea

5. No, I'm CURRENTLY in two bands...my church band and a university band.

My church band is pretty much as serious as any gigging band here. We're organised into set teams, with a proper rota and the expectation to be highly proficient in your chosen instrument. We're also expected to attend band meetings and actually help run said band.

The other uni band I'm quitting for the REASON that the musicians are mostly amateurish and difficult to work with.

My hope for the band is to be a truly professional gigging band, with studio work and gigs given the same amount of effort as any professional musicians.

6. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    sounds like the guitarist is already displaying signs of GIIES
    Guitar Induced Inflated Ego Syndrome

it's an epidemic

7. Either that or he expected something from my band advert that he didn't find.

8. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    yeah it still could be worth trying him out- i mean you can never really know if you'll gel with people until you actually play with them.
    although sometimes i find that it's easy to tell when i really don't want to play with someone beforehand...

9. That's the thing. The other thing is that when I mentioned one of the influences of the band is Rush he expected me to be Geddy Lee Mk2.

10. scottmabe

scottmabe

Mar 29, 2008
    Memphis Tn
    Its really quality over quantity ....

11. Your probably a better bass player then you give yourself credit.

12. Unfortunately I'm not the worlds most confident bassist....

13. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Hogwash! Dive right in, and I'm sure you'll suprise yourself! Don't let this guy get to you!
    :bassist:

14. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    If he's been playing for 20 years, how old is the guy? It might just be that he doesn't want to play with someone as young as you more due to the age difference and not your inexperience...and doesn't want to come straight out and say, "I'm an old fart, don't think I'll fit in."

15. Yay! *rushes off to find bass*

The guy is 35-ish...

Trust me, if he doesn't want to be in the band, he should say so. I'm NOT gonna take offense...

16. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    Guitarists are subject to reverse discrimation on TB... I think the guy has a slight attitude problem - nothing to do with the instrument he play- , but the point he was trying to make is somewhat valid. He considered you guys amateurs compared to himself, which is obviously true as in you don't have the experience he has. But when it comes to creativity and original songs, he don't have the right or the sufficient information to say something like that.

Creativity correlates with the proficiency and experience, because you need to know the instrument to a degree in order to express yourself with it. Not unlikely any other forms of art, but also not as much as people make it out to be. I say 2 years can considered to be enough in this retrorespect. But are you really ready to play live? That would depend on how perfectionist and self-conscious you really are..

17. The ONLY way I am going to find out whether I am good enough is to get out there and actually play the damned bass, in a band, at a gig.

People would think I was asking for the world...all I want is a band.

18. bassmanslap

bassmanslap

Jun 21, 2008
    Guy sounds like a typical stuck up guitarist.

Simple solution... Find another guitarist, there are PLENTY of really good guitarists knocking about, he would probs turn out to be a d*ck anyway.

:)

19. Don't worry, I have four more to talk with yet.

20. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    He has a point. That doesn't mean he's not being stupid. They are not mutually exclusive things you know.