1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does this look like a graphite nut?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by fresnorich, Mar 9, 2008.

1. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    The seller wasn’t sure, but I assumed that it would be graphite. Looking at it up close, it almost looks like it could be ebony.

What does it look like to you?

th_IMG_0838.

th_IMG_0824.

th_IMG_0804.

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Its definatly not graphite. Thats all I know.

3. speedkills

speedkills

Jan 10, 2008
    California
    If it burns it's ebony.

4. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    looks like a poorly made and installed Rosewood nut that unfortunately 'compliments' a poorly slotted fingerboard

R

5. wow, those slots look pretty bad, but yeah, it looks like rosewood, you can tell by comparing with the fretboard!

6. +1 for wood. You can tell as graphite doesn't look woody. looks like you need a little more action there.

7. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    That's wood and completely ineffective. The grooves dig all the way into the fingerboard! Why even have a nut if you're going to slot it all the way down to the fingerboard? I guess it just keeps the strings in place. Weird.

8. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    It's a '71 fretless P-bass neck:

th_IMG_0803-1.

I agree that the slots are too low and sloppy, but I wouldn't say that it's "completely ineffective." The action is very low and it actually plays pretty well as long as you don't dig in too much.

The grooves (or slots) in the fingerboard above the nut are supposed to be there (or at least I've seen them on other early '70s fretless headstocks), but it looks like they are also deeper than they should be (at least the on the E string).

I will eventually replace the nut, but it works okay for now. I'm using flats, so I'm not that worried about further damaging the fretboard. I was just wondering about the nut material. It seems that the general consensus is rosewood. I appreciate the comments so far.

9. the slots are sloppy, but not too low. I set up my fretless basses with the nut almost touching the fingerboard by about the thickness of some bond20 paper. You want your open strings to buzz just like the rest of the fingerboard ...but that's just me!

10. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Here's a pic from ebay showing a 1970 fretless neck with the grooves/slots in the rosewood above the nut (just for comparison):

[​IMG]

11. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Yup, my Fender was like that too, till I put a fretted neck on.

12. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Hhmmm...Any chance it could be water buffalo horn?

21v6NSTzbHL._SS500_.

It seems to be a more common choice for nut material than rosewood.

13. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    None whatsoever.

14. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Are everyone's eyes here that much better than mine? How could you possibly make an id on the material from a 160x120 picture? And why is there no chance whatsoever that it is water buffalo horn?

15. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Click on them. They're thumbnail links to the actual images.

16. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Is it the color? the grain?

More info would be helpful (I'm trying to learn).

17. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    water buffalo is more common than Rosewood? and what, exactly, do you base this statement on? something you learned from the experts at eBay?

not a slam towards you in any way, but a request for resource info that backs this assertion

all the best,

R

18. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    Watter buffalo horn? Sounds like my Friday night.

19. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Not more common than rosewood in general, just as a nut material.

I based the statement on the fact that Allparts and several other guitar/bass parts stores (and yes, ebay too) sell water buffalo nut blanks, but do not sell rosewood nut blanks. In fact, I could not find a site anywhere that sells rosewood bass nuts.

http://www.allparts.com/store/nuts-saddles-bone-nuts-bn-0291-000,Product.asp

20. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    That nut has been replaced. It's not original. I'd guess it's wood of some sort. Looks a lot like the fingerboard, but who knows what it is. If the previous owner took it to a builder chances are the builder had a lot more rosewood laying around than water buffalo horn and it was replaced long before Allparts ever existed.