Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does this look like a plane crashing into...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Feb 10, 2003.

1. I was listening to WNYC, a talk radio station here in New York, and they were discussing the replacement designs being considered for the new World Trade Center. So the host and some guest are yaking away when someone calls in to the show and asks: "Am I the only one who sees what looks like a plane crashing into the Rafael Vinoly design? What exactly is that?"

You tell me. www.rvapc.com

This looks very creepy to me. It looks like a Concorde crashing into both towers.:confused:

Weird.

Mike

2. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Apparently that structure will be a museum. Here is a detail of that section:

http://www.rvapc.com/schemes/wcc/section2.html

From the website:

9-11 Interperative Museum
    Among the possible cultural institutions that would be housed in the World Cultural Center, we are proposing a facility that is dedicated to understanding and preserving the memory of the tragic event. Suspended within and between the two open-lattice towers the museum that we have proposed would physically unite the two zones where the airliners struck the Twin Towers and provide a unique environment for visitors, students, and scholars to study the cultural, social and political repercussions of the attacks. This building would be constructed in the second phase of the site's development.

[​IMG]

I guess it's supposed to -- each end of the museum structure looks like the noses of an airliner.

3. AHA! I didn't check out the whole site! :oops:

Mike ;)

4. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Does anyone else think we should just build back the twin towers???? I think it would be the ultimate "You can't beat us" message to terrorists.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Rebuilding the towers as they were(more or less) would definatly be practical, that was a lot of office space lost.

6. ...except they were ass-ugly and obsolete (in particular, and tragically, with regards to fire protection and evacuation).

So build 'em back, but better-looking and with modern techniques.

7. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Though in a vacuum they were quite ugly, set in the New York skyline I always thought of them as quite handsome and very distinctive. I agree with building them back with modern techniques, however. And honestly, I think all the new designs for the site are more ass-ugly than the original buildings ever were!

8. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Hi folks, I deleted my earlier post - I was reminded of the fact that the potential audience in TB can be much younger than me.

So, here is a slightly edited version of the best new plans I've seen for the WTC

9. Isnt the third tower supposed to be bigger then the first? :p