1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does this look right for a steinberger?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter Guthrie, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Peter Guthrie

Peter Guthrie

Jun 17, 2018
    Hey now. I don't know enough about these basses to know if this is a real steinberger. The label looks a little off from the other ones I've seen online. Any help is appreciated. I'm thinking about picking it up. I just don't want a fake. I know they are awful pics. But that's all the seller provided. Screenshot_20180810-062533. Thanks!!

Attached Files:

2. Can’t say exactly, but the lines of the body look off to me. Could be the angle of the picture, though. More and/or better pictures would help.

Peter Guthrie likes this.
  3. Peter Guthrie

Peter Guthrie

Jun 17, 2018
    Thanks Matt. I'm gonna ask for more pics

4. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    On most I've seen, the logo is much closer to the edge of the body. I'd be very suspicious. I believe the rear pup is too far forward as well.

5. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    also, the 24th fret on a Steinberger doesnt have any dots.....hey, lug, hows it goin? (drf)

6. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Other than finding out the only bass player in the world that looks better than me is still alive, fine. :D

7. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Toronto
    This bass is doubtful for the reasons outlined above. The Steinberger serial # database is easy to find and interpret as well. You could call Headless USA who are the experts in all things Steinberger. They answer the phone and are quite friendly.

pacojas, design, Spidey2112 and 4 others like this.
  8. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Logo is 100% fake.

Steinbergers did not have a pickup switch.

And look at the EMG logos on the pickups...Steinberger went out of business well before they started using that logo.

Also, Steinbergers have graphite necks/fingerboards....not Rosewood that sticks out over the body like that. So I'd say the whole thing is fake.

This is a real Steinberger:

steinberger-xm2a-250992.

9. Peter Guthrie

Peter Guthrie

Jun 17, 2018
    Thanks bongo

10. Peter Guthrie

Peter Guthrie

Jun 17, 2018
    Looking at the sellers other ads. He has....

A fake Rick...
    2 fake MM bongos
    The steinberger...
    And a prince bass.

But no fake fenders....hmm.

He's asking short $$ for it. I might go play it. And decide after. Thank you guys for all the help

design and mmbongo like this.
  11. Looks like the logo was 'applied'with a rubber stamp. Lol. Fakey McFakery.

Spidey2112, lfmn16 and Peter Guthrie like this.
  12. Peter Guthrie

Peter Guthrie

Jun 17, 2018
    The more I compare the sellers pictures to real ones, the more I'm thinking it's more of a cheeseburger than a steinberger

13. TideSwing

TideSwing Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2014
    NJ
    what a poor fake job

14. Logo don't look right AT ALL.
    Hard pass.

15. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Is he advertising the Rick and MM's as real, or does he acknowledge them as fakes/copies? If he's trying to pass them off as real, I wouldn't consider buying anything from him -- if not because it is unethical (IMO), because I just wouldn't trust him.

Garret Graves, JIO and Peter Guthrie like this.
  16. Peter Guthrie

Peter Guthrie

Jun 17, 2018
    @Lobster11

They are advertised as MM basses

Rick bass

And stien headless.

And the prices are in line with copies....I guess.....

Lobster11 likes this.
  17. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    There's not much that gets by this bunch
    Well played men

retslock, JeffC23, design and 6 others like this.
  18. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia
    These are Chinese copies sold on Ali Express and other Chinese import sites.
    That same exact bass is on there.

It's hard to fake a Steinberger, the Graphite necks are unique, expensive and hard to come by. That will be the first "tell" if you see it in person. It is obvious that this is not a graphite neck.

As pointed out, the EMG pickups of that era are no longer produced, and the bass you posted does not have them. I've never seen a Steinberger with that toggle switch - maybe on a prototype, but I've never seen one in production - which again, if it were a prototype, would make this bass very expensive.

The logo font and placement is all wrong and that is a copy of a Steinberger bridge.

I've owned 4 Steinbergers and 3 of them were XM's. This bass is a fake.

19. Peter Guthrie

Peter Guthrie

Jun 17, 2018
    You guys are great! Thanks

J_Bass likes this.