1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does this look right to you? Fender Custom Shop Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Refonbass, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Refonbass

Refonbass

Jan 29, 2006
    Windsor Ontario
    Hey everybody,
    I just took delivery of my brand new FCS 1964 Jazz Bass NOS yesterday and although it is a nice bass one of the first things I noticed was the neck fitment and the very apparent gap in the neck pocket. In addition to that the neck in general to me looks slightly off kilter..
    As if the E string is too far from the edge of the board, and thus the G string to close on it's side.. Am I imagining this or do you guys see what I mean?
    I would hate to think that on an instrument of this calibre, at this price point that something of this nature would occur. I have owned everything from Fender Am standards, to Sadowsky NYC's to Fodera's and most other brands you can think of and haven't really noticed anything like this before. I really wanted this bass to exceed my expectations but so far to be honest I'm a bit underwhelmed with Fender's Custom shop instruments if this is what we can expect.
    Thoughts?

2. Refonbass

Refonbass

Jan 29, 2006
    Windsor Ontario
    Sorry. Having a difficult time uploading pics from the iPhone app..

3. Could see what you meant if you'd included a pic!!!!!

However, sounds typical of Fender to me.

G.

4. Refonbass

Refonbass

Jan 29, 2006
    Windsor Ontario
    Nevermind I guess, every time I try to upload a picture it says I've exceeded my quota. Even at the "small" size.

5. GG7

GG7

Mar 14, 2013
    Could be that the nut was cut wrong. I doubt that the bridge would have been mounted out of alignment.

Are the strings more whacked on the nut end of the neck than the bridge end?

6. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    If it is a copy of a 64, it will have a big neck pocket. This is not an issue; it is a faithful reproduction. Align the neck and enjoy a great bass!

7. This. Make sure the neck isn't mounted on an angle.

8. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    I agree with wvbass and awilkie84, loosen the neck bolts and straighten the neck. Sometimes in shipping the neck can get misaligned.
    Post a pic when you can.

9. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    I would find that disturbing, myself ... particularly at the high price points those FCS basses sell at. A tight neck heel to pocket fit is one of the critical success factors for a superior Fender bass, IMHO and it would appear that the FCS failed miserably on your bass.

10. Unfortunately, the only things that make this instrument considered a high end piece of equipment are the name and the price.

11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147

In your humble opinion.

IMHO, this remark seems unfair, and is especially unkind to one who is trying to resolve an easily understood and fixed problem. Fender hateraid is best drunk alone at home, IMHO. :p

All Fender basses may have a misaligned neck, making the clearance between the body and the heel uneven, and the strings align improperly.

Fix it thus:

Caution, do not let the neck lift or drop from the plane of the body.

1) Get large phillips screwdriver and a big soft towel.
    2) Take most of the tension off the strings.
    3) Lay bass face down upon towel on bench or table, etc.
    4) Carefully slightly loosen neck plate screws (~1/2 turn at heel¬órighty-tighty/lefty-loosie).
    5) Hold bass body under armpit with arm wrapped around and hand gripping lower horn.
    6) Gently wraggle, pull or slap the neck to center it.
    7) Visually check alignment by sighting down from the bridge.
    8) Repeat 6 and 7 until it is aligned.
    9) Retighten neck screws.
    10) Retune and inspect. Repeat if needed.

12. Refonbass

Refonbass

Jan 29, 2006
    Windsor Ontario
    Thanks for the tips. That seems to have made an improvement. Although I have to say it's a little disconcerting that I had to do it at all.
    I've owned something in the vicinity of 30 basses, and I've never had to 'knock' a neck back into alignment! lol

13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    You're welcome.
    I have done it with my '71 P-bass, and a number of my students instruments. It is normal.

Congrats on a fine instrument, play the heck out of it! :bassist:
    Got pics? :D

14. I agree. I played a 64 Custom Shop Jazz bass at a local store a few years ago and it too had a gap at the neck pocket. It's pretty lame that this sort of thing is considered acceptable on a Fender, especially the custom shop models.