1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does this look right ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by havik180, Apr 11, 2006.

1. havik180

havik180

Oct 9, 2005
    SF bay area
    I'm going to attempt to shield my GSR200 and re-ground the connections (star grounding).Just curious if I have the idea right.

Please correct me if I'm wrong !

Here is the "stock" schematic (LEFT) and my modded schematic (RIGHT)

Thanks ,
    Rich

2. Bo_H

Bo_H

Jul 2, 2004
    I'm not sure. I'm new at this stuff myself, but I would think each a ground from each pot should go to star ground too. Perhaps someone more knowledgable will come along. I'd like to see what is said and "pickup" on something.

BB5

3. This is what I did, though on a one pup bass. Works. Quiter than before. I get some buzz, when I touch the knobs. Perhaps I should have left the pot housings grounded. Or, I could just use plastic knobs.

Attached Files:

4. havik180

havik180

Oct 9, 2005
    SF bay area

So you ran the p'up and bridge ground to the jack ground.Then the wires that are grounded to the top of the pots to the same place ? did I read that right ?

5. Yes.

If it's 'sposed to be grounded, it goes directly to ground, on it's own wire.

6. havik180

havik180

Oct 9, 2005
    SF bay area
    Ok i tried both my way and the way Ulrich mentioned. Neither one worked. Am I or could i be missing something ?

All the connections to the top of the pots were re-grounded and the little rigid wires that go from the pot terminal to pot were also cut (should I have re-grounded those ?)

A majority of the buzz comes from the neck p'up (shielded with aluminum metal tape) could this mean it's another problem ? The buzzing is minimal when touching the bridge or jack. Please help !

Rich