1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does this look ROASTED to you?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dub56, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Yes

2. No

3. Roasted Carrots

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    DC
    Hey all,

I recently ordered a custom neck from Musikraft to use on an MJT bass kit build.

I ordered roasted maple as one of the most significant upcharges on the neck (+$80).

The neck recently made it from Musikraft to MJT and MJT sent me a few photos today.
    4131DA9C-419A-4822-B8FE-CF2BDBEB8326.jpeg 52229408-EFCC-452B-8BAA-FFDC2D8C1288.jpeg E3DCCE9C-1B1F-4889-976E-17E0E3F3843D.jpeg 826230C2-1EBD-48CF-8B49-6748CABCEA54.jpeg
    After viewing the photos I’ve been a bit bummed that the maple on the neck doesn’t appear to be as obviously roasted as I expected/hoped. It’s hard to tell from photos I’m sure, but it just looks like regular maple to me?

I‘ve reached out to Musikraft about it before MJT completes any finishing work on the neck, but I’m curious what others think.

Does this maple look roasted to you?

Here’s Musikraft’s reference:
    091FA211-0EFD-442F-89C0-B75C668A0366.png

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  2. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    It does. It’s a “light roast” though. Once it gets finished I’m sure it will darken up quite a bit.

Here’s an example of how many shades darker the roasted stuff gets with some finish.

3. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    DC
    Thank you for this response, that is encouraging! Hopefully it will darken up a bit once they finish it.

On that note—do you have any suggestions for which tint would be most suitable to bring out the best in the roasted maple? They’ve given me the following 4 options:
    C7F22E73-AB2C-4839-B9A0-062838DD6020.png

4. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Well, it's not like a French Roast...

murphy, Elias86, gebass6 and 8 others like this.
  5. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    previated devert
    Agreed with the above, it looks roasted, but it's not dark about it.

I'd leave it like that, depending on the body finish and hardware.

If you wanted to add a tint to the neck, imo it already looks closest to the vintage amber.

imabuddha, Bassdirty, pcake and 2 others like this.
  6. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    This is what I love about TB, where else on the internet do you get these kind of genuinely constructive posts?

Elias86, logdrum, zubrycky and 4 others like this.
  7. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    I’ve only done clear on my necks but If you search the warmoth forums, a few guys have had vintage tint gloss over the roasted maple. I personally wouldn’t go anything darker than that, it might throw off the color.

8. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    DC
    Thank you, that helps! I was originally planning on the clear as well, I was a bit apprehensive about another tint throwing off the roasted maple color as you mentioned.

The video you posted above really showed the roasted maple come to life with the clear, so I think I’ll just have them do that. Hopefully it’ll darken up a bit and bring more of the roast out.

thisSNsucks and Reedt2000 like this.
  9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    tenor.gif

10. No, does not look like their add at all.

DrMole likes this.
  11. Bajo Clarkko

Bajo Clarkko

Aug 9, 2015
    Aaron, from Warmoth, posted a video a while back, in which he talked about roasted maple necks.

He said that a roasted maple neck will actually smell like maple syrup. (Presumably because of the caramelization of the sugar in the wood, during the roasting process.)

Does the neck smell like something that would be good on pancakes?
    (I am serious about it smelling like maple syrup; I’m not just trying to be a wise guy.:))

joker820 and tyohars like this.
  12. bmusic

bmusic

Oct 22, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Yeah I’m gonna have to go ahead and ask that y’all stop ordering work from MJT. I’m waiting for a J bass refin from them and I
    cannot
    take
    the
    wait
    any
    longer.

Lammchop93, Reedt2000 and dkelley like this.
  13. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Not roasted.

14. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    can you back out of your order?

15. screen-shot-2011-04-20-at-4-06-43-pm.png

Jay2U, GravyGoodness and Dragan like this.
  16. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
  17. oranje

oranje Living deliciously Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2010
    San Diego
    Lightly Roasted or not, that is quarter-sawn perfection. I would be all over that beauty.

18. Flat-N-Round

Flat-N-Round

Jun 30, 2020
    This is true, it’s one of the most delicious smelling necks out there. Another option would be the vanilla cake scent of nitrocellulose. MmmHmm...not too much of the nitro though, it’s toxic!

19. For us laymen, I always assume that a company's product will look like their example. They should be able to tell you what roasting process and finish will make a neck that looks like their sales and marketing example of a "roasted neck"... like, the thing they sold you on by the photo to make you pay your $80 extra.

They're asking YOU what you think it should look like, but none of their finish examples look anything like the "roasted maple neck" photo they sold you on.

I'd be seriously pissed and confused right now. I'd email them, if you were you, and tell them you want them to do whatever they need to do to make it look like the roasted neck in their example of a roasted neck photo, since that is what they sold you and what you paid for. You're not the expert here, they are. They should be able to tell you what finish to choose so it looks pretty much exactly like that photo.

And I, for one, can't believe that any of those finishes will make THAT neck, with THAT light roasting, look like THAT example in their website of a roasted maple neck.

But I am absolutely not an expert on wood finishing - my idea of finishing wood is either stain it, or paint it blue. My only two things I've done right in my life were those two choices... all other choices were very, very bad.

But I know what I like, and I know what selling a product based on photos should result in.... and I too would be very concerned right now, not only in the current state of the appearance, but in the question FROM THEM TO YOU about what finish to use. I mean, roasted is supposed to be great for lifespan improvement. But let's be totally honest here - most of us like roasted necks because they look super sexy, right? I know I do. And your neck current photo, and the example photos of 4 finishes, don't resemble the roasted pic they sold you.

Joe Murray, DrMole, copacetic and 4 others like this.
  20. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    EBMM Stingray Special necks are roasted and practically bare (very little Tru Oil and wax on them), but they definitely look roasted and not pale like this one - meaning, they don't rely on finish in order to look darker. They're darker because they're roasted. So no, this one does not look roasted.