Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does this look strange to you?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thrillkiller, Sep 18, 2002.

1. Thrillkiller

Thrillkiller

Apr 25, 2001
    NC
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Those are definitely 4 string pickups. I wodner if you get any sound at all from the "B" or "G" strings on that!!! :)

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The string tree that only exerts pressure on 4 of the strings seems to support what you're thinking.

But a headstock with no one wanting to claim responsibility bothers me most.

4. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    Sold for over $2000 eh? hahahaha

5. Most 5-strings that use J-style pickups (including some with wide spacing, like Lakland) have pickups that are the same size as 4-string J pickups. Unless you happen to know the model number of those Barts, it's impossible to tell if they were originally for a 4-string or a 5-string.

One of Zolla's specialties was making 5-string necks to fit in 4-string neck pockets, but those also hung over the edge of the pocket, too. From the back, it looks like the neck pocket on the body is wider (notice how much space there is around the neck plate), so this was probably a 5-string to start with, rather than a conversion for a 4.

Since it's a "parts" bass, I wouldn't expect it to have a maker's name on the headstock--Warmoth happens to sell decals, but a lot of other parts makers don't.

So, it's probably pretty much what they say it is--all except the "sold for $2000" part, anyway.

Mike

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    No, no, I've seen that style of string tree before. The B's tuner is too close to the nut for stringtree, I think. Also, I think this is not a 4-string made into 5: headstock looks non-tampered to me by the tuner placement, there are no extra holes and the small dings in laquer tell about years of use. Also the neck pocket looks clean, which suggests it was made for neck that wide.