1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does this ? make me a racist ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I was checking out the line up for this years LODO bass bash and I noticed that there were no black bass players listed to perform so I post the question

Why are there no black bass players performing at this years LODO bass bash?

so in another forum where I asked the question I was accused of being a racist(which is the furthest thing from my heart).

I was only making an observation,does the question make me a racist ?

2. JNowiski

JNowiski

Jan 16, 2006
    Fayetteville/NC
    no.

3. No, but I think the question was slightly inappropriate.

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

Why do you say that ?

5. fryBASS

fryBASS

Aug 8, 2006
    New Haven, CT
    It really annoys me when people take observations as racism.

6. duo8675309

duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
    I really think politically correctness has gotten way out of hand. It's almost as if just saying the word "black" causes everyone to panic.

7. I'd ask the same question... and I'm a cracker.

Maybe schedules were full... just a coincidence?

8. JNowiski

JNowiski

Jan 16, 2006
    Fayetteville/NC
    probably because you said black bassists instead of african american bassists?...idk, but what if they weren't american?

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    :rollno:

Not at all.

10. Amen.

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    That's funny :)

12. duo8675309

duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
    Calling someone an African American has to be the dumbest thing anyone has ever thought of. If someone is ACTUALLY from Africa, and then moved to America, then yes. He or she would be an African American. That doesn't necessarily mean they would be black though. If I was born in Africa and then moved here, I would be an African American, but I certainly would not be black. What's so wrong with the word black? If I were black I'd be proud of it. I wouldn't want someone to start calling me something else because of a negative connotation towards what I'm called. I'm sure some people hate me, and everytime they hear my name or hear that I'm going to be somewhere they say "Oh not him again..." That doesn't change the fact that I want to be called Will. It's my name and I'm proud to have it.

13. JNowiski

JNowiski

Jan 16, 2006
    Fayetteville/NC

i agree. i'm not the one who made it up :D

14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    In the original question I didn't use the word black I used African American instead(my bad :) )

15. Herrlster

Herrlster

Oct 27, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    What I find even more racist is how there isn't a brown bass player listed to perform!

:rolleyes:

16. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I had a math class with a girl who was an African American, but white as me. She lived in South Africa, so...

And Jauqo, I don't see how that's racism. It's an observation, as other people have mentioned. Now, if you were to say something like "Why aren't there any black bassists? They can groove better!", then that might pushing it.

17. JNowiski

JNowiski

Jan 16, 2006
    Fayetteville/NC
    you just totally voided my comment. :(

18. Ok, inappropriate is the wrong word. I just don't think it was necessary - It was an observation, but if skin color really doesn't mean anything, it shouldn't be mentioned.

19. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

How can I make it up to you ?

20. JNowiski

JNowiski

Jan 16, 2006
    Fayetteville/NC
    but then there would be no point in posting the observation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.