1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does this make sense?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Swever, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Swever

Swever

Nov 13, 2008
    Joensuu, Finland
    Hello everyone!

I'm quite new to both bass and electronics worlds :)

Atm I am building my first bass and I would love to get some advice concerning electronics.

It's going to be a J-neck MM-bridge bass. Passive for now.
    What I thought to do was to use two push-pull pots, each controlling a corresponding pickup level. One would switch between series/parallel connection of the pickups, and the other one would be a phaze switch for one of the pickups.

What do you think? Is this scheme doable at all? Do you find this layout practical? (the series/parallel thing still looks a bit doubtful to me)

2. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    The scheme is doable, but I have no idea about how practical it would be. To be exact, the phase switch seems like the impractical one unless you really want the phased-out sound.

3. The phase switch isn't a good idea. It will pretty much kill the output of the bass completely. This scheme only works if the pickups are far apart.

A better option would be: series, parallel, neck coil solo, bridge coil solo.

4. This is definitely do-able if that's the way you want it.
    I could draw you a schematic if you need it.

I agree that the phase switch isn't going to be very useful to you.

I would instead do two series/parallel switches. One for the MM pickup, and one for the two pickups series/parallel to each other.

5. Ah, reading again I understand you intend to have a J pickup at the neck. I thought you meant it would have a J neck, not pickup.
    In this case a phase switch would work, sort of, if you put the neck pickup and rear coil of the MM pickup out-of-phase. Still a thin sound though.
    Line6man is 'the man' when it comes to drawings, I would accept his offer!

6. Swever

Swever

Nov 13, 2008
    Joensuu, Finland
    Thanks for the response guys!

So I'd rather not bother with the phase switch then.

As for series/parallel for the MM pup - it's just not possible, since it has only two wires coming out. I'ts the cheapest MM pickup I managed to find on ebay :) Perhaps if I later decide to upgrade the pups I would add this feature.

line6man, thanx a lot for the offer, but I really wanted to do it by myself for learning's sake. But now I know whom to ask for help if I am confronted by unsolveble difficulties :)

7. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    You can still go with a global series/parallel wiring - that ought to give you a bit more flexibility as well.

8. Swever

Swever

Nov 13, 2008
    Joensuu, Finland
    yeah, yeah, that's what ill do