Does this MTD sound like a Fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

I always hear about MTD's sounding modern and sizzly. This bass sound pretty mid focused and present in the mix, not unlike a P-bass. I wonder if many who dislilke the sound of MTD's really take the time the learn to eq the bass properly?

Bass Viking, andruca, Tjazz5 and 4 others like this.
  2. Whenever I see these monolithic tone descriptions of entire companies I think there is one person who listened to something, ignored any other possible settings, and then 50 other people repost it as gospel while having no idea of their own.

I think most players on the internet have no idea their amp has knobs.

ElMon, andruca, Rip Van Dan and 13 others like this.
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I wouldn’t say that sounds like a P bass at all really. It does sound very similar to a lot of other MTDs I’ve heard wherein it’s clear and tight, somewhat compressed sounding, and the high end has a very high frequency range/no noticeable frequency rolloff.

4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is fair. The thing that always sticks in my mind are the active Jazz guys who say soap bar MTDs cannot be heard in the mix only to hear albums and performance videos where the MTD is clear as a bell, not to mention major players who love them. My Pedulla PJ fretless is my favorite bass by a wide margin, but my favorite fretted basses are Jazzes. Despite that, to my ears, there are very few bad choices when it comes to types of basses one can use.

red_rhino likes this.
  5. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Doesn't sound like a Fender P at all really. It sounds like a modern, active bass.

Kriegs and oren like this.
  6. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I was enjoying this MTD Kingston Super 5 on this cover.

BB300, raal, dab12ax7ef and 6 others like this.
  7. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

Mar 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Regardless, it sounds good.

MDBass, Dr. Cheese and lowdownthump like this.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    After re-reading your post, I realize that I seriously need to increase my vocabulary for describing how a bass sounds

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Nah, you’re fine. Most people just think bass sounds like a John Lee Hooker song- boom boom boom boom.

10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I am surprised at the this bass’ slap tone. I was expecting something sort Stingray like, but it reminds me of a PJ.

red_rhino and Altitude like this.
  11. It does have a single coil sound, I wonder if he has split the coils?

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  12. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    There is absolutely compression being applied to that bass track, so that’s at least part of it ;)

Agreed though: it sounds nothing like a P bass, despite being significantly more mid focused than other MTD tones I’ve heard.

Perfect for that track and the bassists playing style.

BB300 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  13. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Does this MTD sound like a Fender?
    To me it doesn't.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  14. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Shoals Indiana
    The one thing nobody asks is what amp is he playing through. I like that type of tone, but could not get that out of my 6 string through the over 20 different amps I went through. That is until I got my Eden. I can also get close with my Genz Benz. I tried every eq setting and multiple brands of strings, but when it came down to it, it was the amp. I now run my bass set flat and pickup blend in the center. Then set my Eden with a slight boost on bass and mids and slight cut on treble. Sounds almost identical to the video. So maybe it isn't just the bass?

BB300 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  15. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Shoals Indiana
    This looks like the same model and the tone is totally different. So again could it be the amp?

And this one once he starts playing.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  16. wizard65

wizard65

Sep 1, 2014
    Doesn’t really sound like a P bass to me, sounds great though.
    Dammit, now I want an MTD!

DrZ, fuzzychaos and Dr. Cheese like this.
  17. I was about to post this. It sounds really good, and sits well in the mix, but it doesn't sound anything like a P-bass at all to me, either.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  18. Exactly! I'd add that I think your playing style is very modern (and beautiful, I like it a lot). In my opinion, P wouldn't bring much to you, more likely it will hold you back. Be as you are and go on.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  19. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is something I should have thought of also.

20. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thinking back to my original post, I should have just said that this is an MTD with nice, mid present tone that is certainly not being lost in the mix. That said, saying it sounded like a Fender certainly got more response.:laugh:

Ryan L., Kriegs and Plutonium244 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021