Does this MTD sound like a Fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    earth
    Anyone play an MTD super 5 or Z6 with flats??? Hmmmm?

BB300 and Plutonium244 like this.
  2. Does this MTD make me look fat? :D

Mastermold likes this.
  3. fuzzychaos

fuzzychaos

Mar 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Gotta make those headlines pop to get attention. Try "Five reasons this MTD sounds like a Fender, you won't believe number four!"

Passinwind and Plutonium244 like this.
  4. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    No idea, but I think the guy in teh video does not look comfortable.:)

5. bassgrackle

bassgrackle Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2010
    I can get a very close P tone with my MTDs I use 1000hz (switch up) on the mid scoop, cut the mid all the way down and boost the bass and treble to taste and I get a great fat old school tone.

MTDs have very sensitive EQ and with a bit of time you will get to learn all the magic that Mike has created.

Which still always amazes me that he is not a bass player himself. But he has a wonderfully powerful ear for tone.

BB300 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  6. bassgrackle

Aug 17, 2010
    I cant agree more, when I use an MTD for a set I almost feel like I am too forward in the live mix. But I just own it and rock harder.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  7. bassgrackle

Aug 17, 2010
    I've played a Super 5 with Labella Nylons and a 535 with Labella Gold Flats.

8. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    I played an MTD Kingston Heir 5 for many years and the tonal versatility on that thing was off the charts! Just fiddling with the onboard EQ could give you tones from a MusicMan (bridge) to a Jazz (neck only) to a P-bass (blend neck and brdige) and more! I think it really defies and one particular sound as it is so flexible. A great machine especially if you're playing various styles.

BB300 likes this.
  9. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Owner, John Fox Bass Inactive Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    Dealer for Adamovic, Alleva-Coppolo, Bergantino, Dingwall, Richter, Skjold
    You hit the nail on the head when mentioning that many people may not know how to set the EQ on the MTD.
    When you buy one new, you get a piece of paper that gives you some very useful suggestions for how to set the EQ. I wonder if some people don't pay enough attention to those suggestions.
    On top of that, the EQ is a little different from many, in that you can (and should) actually make use of the FULL RANGE of the EQ pots. There are some really great settings in there that are not at all intuitive, so you need to go out on a limb and experiment with some settings that you might intuitively think are bizarre, and you can find some magically delicious tones. For example setting the mid freq switch to the highest frequency band and setting the mids on maximum cut (i.e. zero) and setting the bass on maximum boost (10).

Back to the track in the OP - it has gobs of compression on it, lots of low mids, a generous amount of bass, but not maxed, and not a heck of a lot of highs. Although it sounds really good, and is perfect for both the track and the player, I wouldn't say it sounds much like a P. It sounds like both pups are being used, and if you want an MTD to sound more like a P, it's easier to do that using the neck pup only.

BB300 and lowdownthump like this.
  10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Palm Bay, FL
    i'm not sure how these bartolinis are made, but from way back in the tobias days, the proprietary tobias/mtd pickup has always been a reverse p pickup inside of a soapbar housing.. just saying...

BB300, lowdownthump and bassgrackle like this.
  11. JaseyT

JaseyT Guest

Jun 18, 2009
    I don't think it sounds anything like a Fender, but I think it sounds great in that video. It's round and full, and has authority, but you can still pick out each individual note. Perfectly at home for that song/genre.

BB300 likes this.
  12. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Just wanted to throw this into the thread for clarification purposes - the videos and samples appear to all be of imported MTD-Zs as opposed to MTD USA. I've owned both, and they are very different. My experience with the import line of MTD-Z was frustrating, as the stock electronics were a definite weak spot and I could never coax a convincing bottom end out of the thing, even with the bass control boosted all the way. It was all mids. I've seen guys replace the original preamp and pickups with Barts and an NTMB, and it gets them into much more traditional territory.

BB300 and lowdownthump like this.
  13. red_rhino

red_rhino Artful Dodger Gold Supporting Member

Those suggestions are very generic. I've owned several MTD's, and each was a different beast and needed to be EQ'ed as such. However, I do agree that people get very locked into using their EQ's in ways they are familiar with, rather than objectively listening to the effect it actually has on the instrument they are playing. I have a Tobias Classic 4 that I have to EQ differently than every other bass I've ever owned. It sounds great, but you can't EQ it the same way you would a lot of other basses.

I did have a 635-24 as my #1 for quite a few years that was soooooo sweet and piano-like. I miss it. It didn't sound anything like the bass in the video. The frequency range was ginormous.

Threads like these don't help my GAS. I find myself being curious about the Super-5, or perhaps going back to a 535.

BB300 and xnewyorka like this.
  14. somebrains

somebrains

Feb 7, 2017
    The set I have out of a 535 are low impedence reversed split coils. So P esque, but they are passive pickups that 25k pots.

There's a coil in the preamp that reminded me of 70's/early 80's active setups.
    The full range eq, with caveats, reminds me more of an Alembic electronics design ethic.

This is isn't across the MTD range.

neptoon likes this.
  15. diegom

diegom Supporting Member

HAHAHAHAHA!!!
    Clickbait!:banghead: It worked!
    :thumbsup::roflmao:

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  16. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Need to work on getting clips up, but @ the Doc: you'd be interested to hear by MTD 634 with a Sadowsky Pre and Aguilar Single Coils. Solid Walnut Body/Wenge neck/board.

Personally, that 'ultra-wide spectrum' thing that MTD's offer never did work for me in a mix. Easy to be buried. IME/IMO, and specific to my playing/tonal goals/genres of music.

The Sadowsky pre, and specifically rolling off that VTC, does get you into PBass territory on that neck pickup.

SIDE NOTE:

Stock MTD USA basses in either ash/rw or alder/rw are much more traditional sounding.

+1 to those above who said Mikey T is a gourmand chef when it comes to using wood to achieve tonal goals.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    ElMon, wood choice and pickup location are probably the two most ignored aspects of bass building.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    BB300 and ElMon like this.
  18. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Owner, John Fox Bass Inactive Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    Dealer for Adamovic, Alleva-Coppolo, Bergantino, Dingwall, Richter, Skjold
    I'll pour some gas on your GAS then. Want to give this stunning baby a new home?
    3BE69659-1392-4EA0-9395-8E65F825F02C.jpeg

Attached Files:

red_rhino and Dr. Cheese like this.
  19. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

This Pedulla is slenderizing!

BB300, ElMon and lowdownthump like this.
  20. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    :DIt might be the fact that you are standing vs sitting as usual. This is the first time I've seen you play standing. :thumbsup: Man you really got blessed with that beautiful looking and sounding Pedulla.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021