1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does this new color neck match better? (Fretless)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RH434, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Yes, it looks better this way.

50.0%
  2. No, leave it alone and give it to someone who needs a bass.

50.0%
  3. Why are you bothering with this project anyway?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RH434

RH434

Aug 25, 2008
    Boiling Springs, PA
    So, for some reason I have the bug again to mess with a bass. I'm not really sure how this affliction is spread, but I think its out of control. ;)

I still have my first bass, a Samick P/J. I'm not incredibly attached to it or anything, but you have to admit, for a $400 bass at the time, that's a pretty nice striped finish on the body. It is for this reason I wanted to give it new life, since I hardly ever played it anymore. So I wanted to try a fretless, and you guessed it, it defretted it nicely here:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=613557&highlight=
    Now, it turned out nice, and I've learned from the experience that I like fretless, but the dark look and chrome hardware isn't jiving with me.

Original:
    [​IMG]

So I'm thinking about a neck upgrade. Here's a mock-up of what it would look like as a 5 string blonde fretless w/black coated strings and black hardware:
    [​IMG]

It has EMG's now, and I'll probably look for a 5-string set of active P/J's for the makeover. Suggestions are welcomed.
    What do you guys think? Does it improve the look or not? It should increase the playability by quite a bit, but is it worth it?

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021