1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does this pay sound good?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by dubmon, Sep 24, 2008.

1. dubmon

dubmon

Sep 20, 2007
    Hi, Mr. Green here;)
    Curious if any working pros can give me their thoughts on this:

I have an opportunity to play a few showcase type shows with a new young male pop artist (I'm in L.A.). a couple of the shows are local, the third we fly to Canada for a show.
    The pay I'm offered is gonna be around 125 a rehearsal.
    Then 400 for each local gig, then 1000 for the Canada gig, plus 100 bucks per diem for the travel day.
    The last time I toured was in a van, so I'm kind of out of touch with all this stuff. Do I assume there will be a bass rig rented for me?
    Do these figures sound reasonable?
    Any thoughts appreciated.

2. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I would assume there would be a backline for you. I'd say that's fairly good compensation; the local gig might be a bit low, but the Canadian gig seems more that I would expect. Congrats and good luck!

3. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    If this is your cut it doesn't sound bad at all. Especially if you don't have to bring an amp.

4. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    I would take vacation days from work for that gig - as long as the rehearsals were 4 hours max or (better still) evening/weekend hours.

5. Never assume ANYTHING when going on the road. Get it in writing. Seriously.

How long are the rehearsals? ($125 for a two hour rehearsal is decent. If it lasts 9 hours.. not so much)

How long is the trip up here to the Great White North? (actually where in Canada?)

I would ask the manager about the backline situation.

6. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Yep. It sounds like a pretty fair gig to me, but get everything in writing - pay, hours, backline, travel allowence, everything. Then have fun.

7. dubmon

dubmon

Sep 20, 2007
    Thanks all.
    The local shows are nice since I get to come home and sleep in my own bed:) The rehearsals are local too. Given that my calendar is completely empty during the time of all this, I'd be crazy to pass I think. The rehearsals though, sound like they're of the 4-5 hour variety. But again, given the times we're in, $125 is better than a sharp stick . . .
    I will confirm on the backline. It's sounding like a good bunch of players will be in the band, so I'll get to meet some new peeps too.
    The Canada gig is in Quebec somewhere, so, a bit northeast of L.A. to say the least. But, I've never been there, so that's appealing too---I never go anywhere usually!

8. Cool. Should be a good gig. If the gig is near or in Montreal and you have some free time feel free to shoot me an email. I always like to meet fellow TB'ers. :bassist:

9. deepdown

deepdown Guest

Aug 9, 2008
    EVERYTHING in writing.

;) God Luck and Enjoy!

10. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    :eyebrow:

ok, I need to move to Boston if $400 for a local "showcase" show is sounding a bit low for you.

:smug:

;)

11. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    1.check on rehearsal times.(I have been in some that have been 8 hrs.)
    2.check on backline to see if its provided,if so $125 a night (local) is good.
    3.check on travel and if its at your expense or management is covering it.
    4.is there any performance contracts you can get a copy of that should have all the info you will need.
    5.take pics and share them with your bass buddies here!!!
    6.HAVE FUN!!!

12. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Hahaha, when rent is $800/mo for a tiny, cold, dirty apartment in AllstonRockCity...we need all the cash money we can get!

13. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ

+1

I failed to do so quite some time ago in a band that I thought was very talented. We had a gig "up north" as well and it turned out to be a DISASTER due to my assuming many things that, in retrospect, I shouldnt have. Being a brash young lad at the time, I behaved poorly (after the gig, in semi-private) and it not only resulted in the band dis-banding but also ruined 2 good friendships and 1 decent one.

It's one of my life's top 10 regret's, and it could have been avoided had I asked some pointed questions and nailed down the details. (well, that, and not acting like an A$$ in the aftermath!)

Assume nothing on a venture like this.

Find out the details and Get It In Writing !!

14. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    +1 on getting everything in writing.

Travel? Plane tickets? Driving a van? Bus? Who's paying? Not out of your cut.

How many days in Canada? Is it just one show? How long?

Hotel?

As stated earlier, Amp/cabs? Instruments? Are you bringing your own? Check with Canada.

Taxes in Canada?

15. I also forgot to ask. How are they going about this? Are you union, on a visa? Playing for $$$ in a foreign country without the proper documentation can be a bad idea.

16. dubmon

dubmon

Sep 20, 2007
    Thanks for asking. I am AFM and all the other players I assume will be (just from looking at the list of possible candidates).
    I've never played out of the country before. In fact, though I'm in the AFM, I've never actually played a union live date before! My union work so far has been a couple sessions on some TV commercials.
    What do I need to consider, say ye? I have a passport of course. Will this need to involve a visa?

Thanks!

17. Being union is the first step. Then you get into grey areas! I would call your local. Usually the tour manager will deal with all of this. If they haven't asked you for your passport number- they probably haven't. You can get some details here:

http://www.afm.org/departments/touring-travel-theatre-booking-immigration

but I would also talk to the tour manager and call your local for details.

18. lhoward

lhoward

Apr 27, 2003
    Western NY State
    +1

I had just finished a reply for dubmon when I saw your post. I even had the same AFM link. Yep, the tour manager should definitely already know if he's on the ball. The person to initially contact listed in the link above, if needed, would probably be Elizabeth Blake - Administrative Assistant
    lblake@afm.org, phone: (212) 869-1330, ext. 259, from the link. Actually, I sent her email since I didn't know about the possible visa requirement and may be going to the Toronto area early next year for a gig.

Lloyd Howard

19. The changes at the border have really messed things up for musicians. I hear it is easier for Americans to gig in Canada than for Canadians to gig in the US. There is alot more paperwork now and the cost has increased quite a bit. One off gigs are rarely worth it now unless the budget is BIG. I do considerabley less US gigs these days. The lower value of the US dollar has also made US gigs less appealing. But man, back in 1999-2000...

20. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    The money is cool for the gigs,check on how long the rehearsals are supposed to be.Mos def make sure that the paper work for the Canada trip is in order I literally was on a tour bus that had half the band denied entry in Canada(including one of the bus drivers) because someone didn't take care of paperwork correctly.