1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does this qualify as "opening"?

Discussion in 'Bluegrass [DB]' started by Ed S, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Ed S

Ed S

Nov 14, 2019
    A pretty big name band is coming through town this weekend, and my little string band has been asked to play an acoustic set in the lobby for 45 min before the show starts - while a charity sells refreshments. So, can we say we "opened" for a Grammy award winning band? :D

Just kidding - we're solely interested in having fun - and scoring free tickets for the show! ;)

Holdsg and nbsipics like this.
  2. neddyrow

neddyrow Captain of Team Orange Jacket Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    we played a benefit show at the 9:30 Club in DC at 2 in the afternoon for about 12 people.

i've definitely told people that i played in a band that played the 930 Club :)

3. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    I think it's up to you how you want to frame this performance. Unless things have changed since my days of opening for big names, opening acts are local, get paid a pittance, and have little professional connection with the main act. Therefore, you should feel free to "optimize history" for the sake of your band's business, but be more honest with your friends and fans.

4. Ed S

Ed S

Nov 14, 2019
    Someone suggested we could just vaguely say we played "before" band x when they were in town! :D

My wife says something more like "concert adjacent" might be more accurate!

5. jlmorgan84

jlmorgan84 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2014
    Clemson, SC
    It's ok with me!

unbrokenchain likes this.
  6. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    My favorite has always been "shared the stage with", maybe not even on the same night. You're good here as long as you don't use that one. :roflmao: